Rims?

whichwaysup

Momma needs a new pair of shoes.

I have some radial tires on my current galvanized rims.   They are in decent shape, but I dont know the age and I think it is time to replace them.   I make long trips periodically and would like to just keep the two rims/tires as spares.  I have also been playing around with the idea of getting some nicer rims for the trailer.  Yes I know all the downsides and I am not sure I would do it.   

Anyone have a recomendation on where to find a good set of rims for a decent price?  Be nice if I could get a good set of radials on them at the same place.   Any recomendations on a specific set?

20191212_163749.jpg

20191212_163745.jpg

The date is a four digit code on the sidewall of the tire .

The first two digits are the week made .

So form 01 to 52

The second two digits are the year made .

example

1619 , would be April 2019.

Hope that helps .

IMHO 

Being that I am a dealer for Continental trailers .

I replace tires and rims every three years no matter what .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️ 

Online is probably your cheapest bet for cheap.... but buyer beware on galvanized some of it out there wont last a year before they rust up. 

I was surprised at the quality of galvanized parts on my ameritrail on the wheels and hubs... it lasted a good while but even a small amount of that rust really bothers me to looks at.  So when it came time I replaced them with the aluminum's ameritrail uses.... bought them from them I think for 100 per rim.... they still corrode yes but much slower than galv / steel and the corrosion isnt near as noticeable.  1 other thing I really like about this alum design is the open spokes allow you to readily see behind it to keep an eye out for grease leaks from the inner seal and easier when rinsing.  Mine are 2 years old most of what you see in pic are water spots.... personally Id stay away from powder coat I dont think itd last 

hubs.jpg

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

Anybody have an aluminum rim you'd recommend?   

My last set I picked up a coupe of years ago are HWT's. Lots of retailers for trailer rims but seems like only there are only a handful of manufacturers who make or advertise theirs meet DOT standards and have a decently high enough load rating. Thats the two factors I sought out. If memory is correct maybe found 3 and all the retailers fairly competitive so I just shopped the ones w free shipping included. There were less than hundred bucks each couple years back. Local tire stores had them but I wanted a certain type so I could see through a bit and to reach thru to clean and most don't stock anything but galvanized. I am one of the anti galvanizers. 😁 Sure I have run them but they are flat ugly. My ole master angler sure aint ugly so no sense dressing her down 🤣 

Right kinda heels make the legs look good ya know 🔥

Makes her look way younger than her 24 years of life suggest 👇

IMG_8317.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, triplec said:

My last set I picked up a coupe of years ago are HWT's. Lots of retailers for trailer rims but seems like only there are only a handful of manufacturers who make or advertise theirs meet DOT standards and have a decently high enough load rating. Thats the two factors I sought out. If memory is correct maybe found 3 and all the retailers fairly competitive so I just shopped the ones w free shipping included. There were less than hundred bucks each couple years back. Local tire stores had them but I wanted a certain type so I could see through a bit and to reach thru to clean and most don't stock anything but galvanized. I am one of the anti galvanizers. 😁 Sure I have run them but they are flat ugly. My ole master angler sure aint ugly so no sense dressing her down 🤣 

Right kinda heels make the legs look good ya know 🔥

Makes her look way younger than her 24 years of life suggest 👇

IMG_8317.jpeg

Trip, those are exactly what I am looking for.  Any chance you have infor on them?

8 minutes ago, mulligan said:

The first set of lugs looks like they are ss caps covering the lugs while the other are all ss and one piece. 

I have a bunch of the ones you posted somewhere in my garage you can have if I can find them, brand new never put on.☺️

Ill take em if you have em and will pay for shipping and whatever makes it worthwhile to send!

I tow a lot from local around SC and down to SW FL. I have regular galvanized rims but I did get them balanced and spent the money on good quality radial tires. Tires are preventive maintenance replacement, don’t wait until they fail.

also every so often loosen and tighten your lug nuts and shoot them with oil. The side of the road is not a good time to find out they are stuck. Additionally regularly check your air pressure as it can be low without “looking” low.

5 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Cool, glad I asked.  Why not though?

They are not forged nuts. They are 2 piece and will corrode. You will not get them off without blood if you have to.

It's a weird sleeved assembly .

If you want graphic photos I can provide them.  You can see the cover/sleeve in the pic you provided if your eyes are slanted.

DON'T DO IT!

• Like 1