1985 Bonefisher II HIN issue

JRHorne

Folks, I bought the smurfy lappy that someone posted in the FS section listed on CL in Miami. It's a 1985 Bonefisher II side console. I just sent in the paperwork to title it and NC kicked it back. They say they need a pencil tracing of the HIN before they'll title it. I assume the reason is the HIN is 13 digits on the Florida title (done in 1999). It is listed as RGLF1496K2785. Problem is, the transom on the boat was replaced in 2005, so I have nothing to trace.

After a bit of research, Ive come up with 2 theories:

1: This is right when the HIN process was standardized. It was 1984 and per my reading, all hulls manufactured after August 1 1984 had to move to the new standard. So my hull could have been a mid 1984 production finished as a 1985 model.

2: Florida added the "F" in to the RGL. I don't think this is right as I've found another post on a forum where someone had an 88 Hewes that was RGLF####A###. So same format, I just have one extra digit. 

Any suggestions? I'm going to call wildlife tomorrow to see what they say. Joyyyy

I would try to call Hewes and see if they can provide any information on hills built for the year model. 
 I would not think Florida would have added any characters to your HIN. 
 If Hewes agrees that might have been your HIN number get some trophy shop to print a plate and make you stencil to send in for your registration.   

• Thanks 1

The boat was manufactured by Regal Fiberglass Corp. for Bob Hewes. Hence the RGFL at the beginning of the serial number, it indicates the manufacturer, all boat serial numbers start with the manufacturer initials.

Hewes placed serial number tags in multiple places on their hulls in the event the boat was stolen they can look for the hidden serial number tags. One place was up under the rear casting deck and up under the front casting deck. You would need to stick your head under and look up for the tags. Almost all manufacturers hide multiple serial number tags for this reason.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

The boat was manufactured by Regal Fiberglass Corp. for Bob Hewes. Hence the RGFL at the beginning of the serial number, it indicates the manufacturer, all boat serial numbers start with the manufacturer initials.

Hewes placed serial number tags in multiple places on their hulls in the event the boat was stolen they can look for the hidden serial number tags. One place was up under the rear casting deck and up under the front casting deck. You would need to stick your head under and look up for the tags. Almost all manufacturers hide multiple serial number tags for this reason.

This is exactly right.  Regal made the hulls for Bob back then.  I was pulled over for a safety check years back in my Fathers old 1989 Hewes.  FWC made me call him and put him on the phone to explain why the registration didn't have MBG or Hewes initials.  We bought the boat from Bob Hewes's personal Dr. 

Like Muddy says... Scour the underside of the cap and search all inside and underside of the hatches.  I had an old Mako that had a second HIN tag down by the D-ring attachment at the front of the boat. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...