RF18 Trolling motor battery location

AdamG843

I have a 2007 RF18 with (2) trolling motor batteries currently installed in center console. Motor is F150, twin power pole 10' on brackets, poling platform, primary battery and power pole pumps in starboard aft compartment. No jack plate.

The boat feel stern heavy to me. My thought was to move weight forward by relocating the trolling motor batteries to the large bow hatch. I swear I read a post about this before but cant find it now. Guess I could pull the batteries and place in bow compartment for test ride...

Anyone running the same general setup tried this? Results would be much appreciated!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

With that 150 I’d move the two trolling motor batteries to the forward hatch and just have starter battery and battery charger in console. I’m sure you’ve considered a 4 blade prop as well to help with hole shot and transom squatting

i run a 4 blade on my 2018 RF and fish islamorada and flamingo a lot so very shallow. While I only have a 115sho switching away from a 3 blade prop changed everything for the good. Carabee marine in islamorada are experts at helping you select the best prop for your application. I did compromise top speed a little but the the trade off was well worth it and since you have the 150 you won’t hardly notice it

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 1:13 PM, AdamG843 said:

I have a 2007 RF18 with (2) trolling motor batteries currently installed in center console. Motor is F150, twin power pole 10' on brackets, poling platform, primary battery and power pole pumps in starboard aft compartment. No jack plate.

The boat feel stern heavy to me. My thought was to move weight forward by relocating the trolling motor batteries to the large bow hatch. I swear I read a post about this before but cant find it now. Guess I could pull the batteries and place in bow compartment for test ride...

Anyone running the same general setup tried this? Results would be much appreciated!

Thanks

My TM batteries were in the front storage hatch on my RF16 when I bought it and I hated it.  There's such limited storage space in a small boat like this anyway that giving up a good portion of that easily accessible hatch for the batteries seemed like a waste.  The storage under the center console seat is practically inaccessible with the cushions in place so it seemed like a much more logical spot for the batteries in my opinion. I moved the batteries to the center console and mounted the charger/maintainer in there with an extension cord plug-in on the side of the console.  Frankly, I haven't noticed any difference in the weight (my forward hatch is usually packed with cast nets, tackle, a canvas corner mounted trash can I made, and other stuff anyway) and the charging convenience is terrific.

48258350896_b4bae9b865.jpg

On 12/19/2019 at 7:48 PM, AdamG843 said:

JakeK what year rf16? I’ve never felt at a lack for storage with my 18. 3 bow compartments plus under the seat has been plenty. 

2008. I  have the large single hatch on the forward deck (plus a deep bilge bottom anchor locker) and the storage under the seat.

48119668577_96f5784f16.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 6:52 AM, GlennF said:

What do have their JakeK chickenpox? Somebody spill something?

Those are alllll holes where a (or various) trolling motors have been mounted.  It was absolutely in the wrong spot when I got the boat and it rested perpendicular to the keel and protruded from both sides of the boat.  There was no safe side to dock it without risking it hitting something.  I suspect the PO kept ripping it off trying to get the boat on/off a cable lift or something.  I now have it mounted correctly where it is almost completely over the deck when retracted. 

On 1/15/2020 at 10:33 PM, Moderator said:

Wow, Jake !

Yeah, many of them were filled with caulk and then gelcoated over (obviously, cracking), others were ~almost~ repaired correctly and some just had something crammed in them.  I got to where I thought I had found them all but a count left me with an odd number...scratching my head, I finally found the last one and fixed them all correctly with a proper thickened resin, glass, and gelcoat.