Rhodan trolling motor install

NNFD197

I was told this general forum would be a better spot to post my question.  I just purchased a Rhodan trolling motor for my 2200 pathfinder. The boat has never had a trolling motor on it before so this will be a first install for the boat and my self. It seems pretty straight forward after reading the installation instructions but I figured I'd shoot out a post to see the do's and don'ts. Honestly I'm a little scared to drill into my new boat but as long as I get the 4 mounting holes right the first time, I'll be happy.  I've laid it on the deck and marked the bracket so the motor head is just inside the rub rail so I don't smack it on a dock. And when deployed I have the shaft an inch from the rub rail for clearance. Any comments, concerns would be nice. Thanks

NNFD187, I don't have mine on a Pathy but mounted as you describe. Head just inside rub rail. Couple pics for reference. I think SCFD may have mis read you post as the way you describe sounds like most. I replace MK and it used the same holes as their bolt pattern for both the Rhodan and MK quick release brackets so the MK and Rhodan deploy location/overhang is very similar.

IMG_0045.jpeg

IMG_0046.jpeg

Ya no way to avoid the TM head hanging over with a remote controls style TM. Hope you plan to use the quick release mount, I think it makes install much easier. Locate the mounting location, mark it, drill and tap the backing plate. If you can reach the back of the plate you could use nuts rather than tap.  Should also consider installing a Battery Tender power plug.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hurricane said:

Ya no way to avoid the TM head hanging over with a remote controls style TM. Hope you plan to use the quick release mount, I think it makes install much easier. Locate the mounting location, mark it, drill and tap the backing plate. If you can reach the back of the plate you could use nuts rather than tap.  Should also consider installing a Battery Tender power plug.

hurricane, everything you mentioned is spot on. Rhodan gives you the quick release mounting bracket when you purchase their motor. They also sell the Batery Tender power plug which I also purchased through them.  They also supply the through bolts and washers, which from the looks of it I should be able to get to all 4. Thank you

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NNFD197 said:

Does that ram mount stick up out the deck when deployed? 

Yes, but this one is machine threaded so it can be unscrewed from the aluminum plate on the deck (info attached).  I did not use the one supplied by Rhodan, because it would be a permanently mounted "toe stubber".  The aluminum plate is the same plate with 3/8" threaded hole as the rear seat backrest support plates supplied by Hewes.

RAM Mount Tough Ball 1-inch.pdf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, geeviam said:

Yes, but this one is machine threaded so it can be unscrewed from the aluminum plate on the deck (info attached).  I did not use the one supplied by Rhodan, because it would be a permanently mounted "toe stubber".  The aluminum plate is the same plate with 3/8" threaded hole as the rear seat backrest support plates supplied by Hewes.

RAM Mount Tough Ball 1-inch.pdf 101.26 kB · 5 downloads

Ok thank you. I'm going to have to go the same route for the same reasons you mentioned. Thanks for your help and the link.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NNFD197 said:

Ok thank you. I'm going to have to go the same route for the same reasons you mentioned. Thanks for your help and the link.

Sounds good.  You're welcome!  It's good to have that extra support in rough waters.  The TM shaft does not move at all when tightened down.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, will drost said:

Hey geeviam what is the connect from the trolling motor to the deck?

If you mean where the power cable penetrates the deck, it is a 3" 316-stainless deck plate with a hole drilled through it, with a gray PVC electrical compression fitting to hold the power cord for a tight seal.  The power cord has a Battery Tender plug on it, to connect below deck.  A bit overkill, but I bought two 3" deck plates to have a spare screw-cap without a hole drilled, for capping off the hole when I remove the trolling motor, so everything on the deck is somewhat flush and snag free.  I installed the 3" deck plate where the center bow cleat used to be, and installed a pair of new pop-up cleats on port and starboard sides.  I cut down and used the outer ring of the spare 3" deck plate as a backing plate on the underside of the deck, and through-bolted the deck plate (sandwiched) for extra strength and support.  Pictures attached.

0918180746.jpg

0918180746b.jpg

1128191721.jpg