Flood Tide SC

SouthernWake

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 11:04 AM, SouthernWake said:

Had someone on the boat yesterday that had never caught a fish in the grass. We can now cross that off his list.

Saw around 10 fish and got a few eats but struggled getting the timing on the hook set right and missed some. We did get this one in his hands though.

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1273.jpg

That's great to hear.   I've been here in NC for 4 years now and have caught a ton of reds in the marsh, but  not ONCE have I found them on a flood tide!    I haven't even seen 'em!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

That's great to hear.   I've been here in NC for 4 years now and have caught a ton of reds in the marsh, but  not ONCE have I found them on a flood tide!    I haven't even seen 'em!

Haven't fished NC so not sure how well this will apply but here is my run down on finding tailing flats....

Google earth is your friend:

Look for flats off islands in the marsh as these typically have higher and harder ground around them

Lighter, sandier, soil flats also show up as lighter colored on their maps and typically have harder ground

Look for flats next to main rivers/larger bodies of water, these seem to hold the most fish.

Look for flats that have multiple drains onto them as these will serve as access points for the fish.

Look for food - Ultimately the fish are there to eat, is your flat holding crabs? Do you see crabs or their holes?

Don't write off small areas, some of my most consistent areas can be pretty small flats between two islands in the marsh.

Best way I have found to determine if a flat has fish is not to pole around it looking for them but get there as the tide starts to come in. Stand on the poling platform, crack a beer, and just watch. If they are there you will see them.

Also some areas produce better in different times of the year. For example, during summer most of the areas I look for are by inlets or deep water while Spring and fall flats I often target are further up river.

Hopefully this can get you started in the right direction. Unfortunately our tailing season is winding down here in SC as it cools down but the fish are moving to the small back creeks and grouping up which still makes for some great sight casting!

• Like 2