Bring back the Lappy

bbrob1

In all due respect, In a world of 35-40K plus flats boats, I don't see Hewes/Maverick separating themselves. It was very sad to see the Master Angler series go, and I fear the Redfishes will follow.

The cl***ic lines of the Hewes Lappy boats draws the same love today as it did over 20 years ago. The boats of today are solid fishing platforms, but there are boats that are shallower, and there are boats that are drier, BUT there has never been a boat better looking than a 90's Hewes. You park a mint one at a ramp between an ECC, HB, Dolphin Super Skiff, and Egret, and the vast majority of people will be drawn to the Hewes cl***ic style. You do the same with a 2015 Hewes and honestly it is lost in the mix.

The lapstrake hull of a Hewes is flats boat's equivalent of Nike's swoosh.

I owned a 98 Bayfisher and a 99 Bonefisher, and the Hewes of today have drier and better storage, and better live wells, but they are not shallower, and the ride is no better. I can imagine that the molds either wore out, or were harder to work is the reason for the switch.

I can't imagine the marketing buzz if Hewes brought back the 16 and 18 Redfishes with today's cap and a lapstrake hull. It would be hard to drive 17/92 and not swing into Central florida Marine and droll a bit over a fleet of pastel colored lappy's, but that's just one man's

opinion.

I would just like to bring back the gel coat shine on my early 90s Lappy. :)

True enough. Launching at Port Canaveral other day, guy comes over to admire. "Looked everywhere for a Lappy". He is launching a beautiful new RF18...

Yes, there are drier rides, yes many get skinnier...newer models have many advantages, but agree it's the old Lappys that get comments at the ramps & gas pumps.

• Like 1

I get a lot of compliments on my Hewes, more then any other boat I've owned by far. Hewes set the flat skiff bar with the Lappy and MBC took it even further with better composites and marketing. Times changed and the industry and market lead them to a new look to freshen up the line. Every company changes their product to keep up with trends and demand, it's just the way it is. It would be interesting if they ever did re-introduce the MA's or Lappys but in the real world that will never happen. It's all about technical skiffs and wifey approved bay boats now.

Couldn't agree more. FL yellow 02 Bonefisher 16, 90 2stk Yam,I snagged from a flyfishing guide in Milwaukee 10 years ago. Never seen salt and when she's clean looks new. Understand 02 was the last year and only 3 built. fish it on Lake of the Ozarks which can get interesting on the weekends with all the traffic. Get lots of comments as have never seen any other make flats boat on the lake as in "what's that thing above the motor" Love it.

Also a simple early tiller Caimen for the FL west coast inshore......love it too for different reasons.

Would love a 70's C10 short bed

Agree.

Give me a nicely restored (or survivor) '71-'72 Chevy short bed Pickup. Or better yet, a 1st gen K5 Blazer. Towing a cl***ic Hewes flats boat.

As I'm cruising to my put in destination groovin to The Allman Brothers or Lynyrd Skynyrd on my 8-track player.

A hot cup of coffee in a paper cup w/o warning stickers telling me the contents are hot.

12 gauge shotgun and .270 deer rifle in the back window rack.

Nehi Orange soda and Pabst Blue Ribbon beer, and bologna on white bread sandwiches in the green metal Coleman cooler.

Big 'ole "America love it it leave it" bumper sticker on the truck. NRA sticker on the back window.

Crucifix on the dash.

43 dollars in ones and fives in my pocket.

A pretty lady with natural boobs, no tattoos, and long brown hair sitting next to me.

I'm loved. I'm blessed.

Let's go catch some fish!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A lot of us agree. It was almost annoying how many compliments I got on my Lappy. Fuel pumps, boat ramp, even had an FWC boat pull me over just to check it out and talk about it...never asked for a bit of paperwork. The whole maverick line has taken a whole different direction. It was built on a "big water" flats boat. Now it's skinny water tech boat. Nice ones for sure, but still....

Seems with "retro" being the in thing now, it would be the perfect time. Unfortunately, it seems to fall on deaf ears around here. Between giving up the Lappy, the 18MA and the 23DV I think they let they best of all their boats go to the boat graveyard. But, what do I know? They seem to be doing pretty well...

For what it's worth, When a I did my factory tour, I was told the last year they made the 18MA they only sold 7 of them. I guess the bay boat was the MA demise.

• 2 years later...

I love these threads, I have a LT 20 used on the big waters of Long Island sound and the Cape for stripers .blues and Albies.  Nobody knows what to make of a poling platform and a 150HP  Yamaha on a 20ft flats boat.,but they love it.specially watching it going over 40mph with a rooster tail. LOL  BTW I fished with a guide out of Chatham,Mass on a 17ft Lappy for many yrs. Great boat.

• 1 month later...