Update:.... Costa Lens Scratches

rubble

Once you get a few decent scratches on a Costa lens, can the lens be replaced or just purchase set of glasses?

Update....  

I ended up biting the bulling and sending my Fisch back to Costa.  I had emailed to ask about replacing the plastic lens with glass and got no response.  Thought, WTH:  I'll just send them back.  Got online and filled out the service request.  Printed the Return Auth and dropped in standard snail mail on 11/1.  Was shocked that they arrived at Costa within a day or two from KY.  Was more shocked that I didn't receive a call but did receive a note from Costa that the price of the repair was going to be more than the initial authorization of $89 for glass replacement.  Didn't care.  Got the glasses for a song and didn't mind spending the money.  After all, it was user error and figured I needed to pay my stupid tax.  

Leaving for Venice, LA in the morning and didn't expect them to be back so didn't bother with getting overnight or next day.  Just the cheap postage.  Shocked that I got an email yesterday with a tracking number and showing expected delivery of Saturday.  Snail Mail just dropped them off today (Thursday) and I'm planning on taking to Venice.  Really like the glass.  Just a tad noticeable that it is a little heavier than the plastic lens but I'm thinking it will be worth it.  

All that said, I think it was a good experience dealing with Costa.  Have heard a lot of horror stories.  Especially when folks think that their glasses should be covered under warranty.  This wasn't a warranty issue.  Smooth as silk transaction.  May even be entirely new set of glasses with 580 Glass?  

• Like 1

They can be replaced. If you send them in to Costa, they will evaluate the glasses and determine if they're covered under warranty or not. If so, it's just a shipping fee of around $12. If not covered, you're looking at around $80/lens or that's what they quoted on my wife's glasses anyhow. There's a company called Fuse Lenses, that make replacement lenses for them, but I have not tried them. All I'll say here is that every pair of Costa's in my house are now spare sun glasses. Good luck.

15 minutes ago, BradM said:

They can be replaced. If you send them in to Costa, they will evaluate the glasses and determine if they're covered under warranty or not. If so, it's just a shipping fee of around $12. If not covered, you're looking at around $80/lens or that's what they quoted on my wife's glasses anyhow. There's a company called Fuse Lenses, that make replacement lenses for them, but I have not tried them. All I'll say here is that every pair of Costa's in my house are now spare sun glasses. Good luck.

I've dropped or had the glasses rub against something.  Definitely user error.  Don't think it's something that is a product defect but would appreciate if they sent me new ones, of course. Do they typically replace if user error?  

So best bet is go look at the Fuse replacements?  For $80.00 I could almost get a new pair of something else.  I think I purchased this set of Costas on sale over Christmas at $50% off.  

11 minutes ago, rubble said:

I've dropped or had the glasses rub against something.  Definitely user error.  Don't think it's something that is a product defect but would appreciate if they sent me new ones, of course. Do they typically replace if user error?  

So best bet is go look at the Fuse replacements?  For $80.00 I could almost get a new pair of something else.  I think I purchased this set of Costas on sale over Christmas at $50% off.  

They do not typically replace for user error. We sent my wife's in a couple years ago because the lenses we delaminating. They replaced them under warranty and sent them back. When my wife unboxed them, the lens fell out and broke....along with the screw that clamps the frame down on the lens. I called Costa and sent them a picture with the glasses as well as a letter stating they didn't tighten the frame and the glasses broke as soon as my wife opened them. The came back with $160 to replace them....We did, with Smith's.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, rubble said:

I own three pairs of Costas. Call them and see what they say. I've had the rubber gaskets come off, glasses break (once was user error) and other odds and ends and it's always been a $12 repair. They have pretty darn good customer service. I tried Smith's, the lenses aren't nearly as good as the 580s are IMO.  

Update....  

I ended up biting the bulling and sending my Fisch back to Costa.  I had emailed to ask about replacing the plastic lens with glass and got no response.  Thought, WTH:  I'll just send them back.  Got online and filled out the service request.  Printed the Return Auth and dropped in standard snail mail on 11/1.  Was shocked that they arrived at Costa within a day or two from KY.  Was more shocked that I didn't receive a call but did receive a note from Costa that the price of the repair was going to be more than the initial authorization of $89 for glass replacement.  Didn't care.  Got the glasses for a song and didn't mind spending the money.  After all, it was user error and figured I needed to pay my stupid tax.  

Leaving for Venice, LA in the morning and didn't expect them to be back so didn't bother with getting overnight or next day.  Just the cheap postage.  Shocked that I got an email yesterday with a tracking number and showing expected delivery of Saturday.  Snail Mail just dropped them off today (Thursday) and I'm planning on taking to Venice.  Really like the glass.  Just a tad noticeable that it is a little heavier than the plastic lens but I'm thinking it will be worth it.  

All that said, I think it was a good experience dealing with Costa.  Have heard a lot of horror stories.  Especially when folks think that their glasses should be covered under warranty.  This wasn't a warranty issue.  Smooth as silk transaction.  May even be entirely new set of glasses with 580 Glass?  

just went through this two weeks ago, sent my costas fantails in to be replaced for the FOURTH time of the rubber peeling off the nose pieces. It has been $12 every time but I finally had enough once they shipped me back new glasses with 580g lenses i decided to sell them for $125 took a few days and i went out and bought maui jims instead and i am 100x happier now. I also recommend Fuse lenses for anyone that breaks or scratches their lenses I have a friend who really likes their lenses.

My brother had the Fuse lens put in his Costa frames, they are progressives. The first pair did not work properly, they re-did them and work perfect now. I think it was around $275 with the green mirror finish. I'm getting my eye exam next week and then will be driving to Fuse in Clearwater to get my progressives done. I'll let you know how it works out. It's hell to be able to see things far away like I can with my single vision Costas but nothing but a blur within three feet of my face. Must be old age..........

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 1:03 PM, DonV said:

My brother had the Fuse lens put in his Costa frames, they are progressives. The first pair did not work properly, they re-did them and work perfect now. I think it was around $275 with the green mirror finish. I'm getting my eye exam next week and then will be driving to Fuse in Clearwater to get my progressives done. I'll let you know how it works out. It's hell to be able to see things far away like I can with my single vision Costas but nothing but a blur within three feet of my face. Must be old age..........

Let me know how this works out.  My RX Costas (cost like $800) are so scratched from daily use.. I gave up.  Wearing my RCIs, even though not RX and I can't see to tie a lure on, still much better spotting fish than scratched Costas.  Also, how to reach Fuse as no plans to drive to Clearwater.  Thx in advance.

I've had nothing but prescription costas for about 10 years.  My last pair committed suicide while running my RF16 and my hat almost blew off up the Wando in Charleston, SC last weekend.  Somehow while resettling my hat, I slid my glasses (that I've had for 4 years) forward on my nose.  In an effort to settle both my hat and my glasses with one hand and the other remained on the wheel, my speed maintaining gamble proved costly and both caught the wind and flew right over the polling platform and ker-splooshed into the brine.  I watched the Costas hit the water and sink but my dad faithfully retrieved my SaltStrong hat after I spun around in a high speed banked turn.  The rubber had long since worn off the ear pieces and putting a retainer on them dug into the side of my head uncomfortably....so I went without.  Sigh...needed a new prescription anyway.  After reading this thread, I'm shopping outside of Costa.

On 12/2/2019 at 6:50 AM, johnd said:

Let me know how this works out.  My RX Costas (cost like $800) are so scratched from daily use.. I gave up.  Wearing my RCIs, even though not RX and I can't see to tie a lure on, still much better spotting fish than scratched Costas.  Also, how to reach Fuse as no plans to drive to Clearwater.  Thx in advance.

Will do! I just picked up my new glasses with the new prescription yesterday from Costco, I doubt I will be doing the sunglasses until after the first of the year!! I checked out their website and my Costas frames, Zane, was listed. Looks to be around $200 without mirror coating for my prescription. https://www.fuselenses.com/  I'm not too sure about replacing the lenses myself, they make it look too simple.