maverick hpx v drain plug

dotschaser

It may have to do with the thickness, really the thinness (if that’s a word) of the HPXs lamination schedule. The carbon/Kevlar decks are super thin, I’d imagine the hulls are relatively thin as well to save weight. I fell off my casting platform one time and dented the deck on my HPX with my elbow. Just a guess though. 

I installed one of the screw in types that have a "Half Pipe" that's part of the plug that does not allow it to fall out when unscrewed preventing my old tired brain from loosing it! Took all of 15 minutes to change....make sure to clean & dry the hole & then caulk it up inside the hole with 3M 5200.

21 hours ago, bdsnook said:

I installed one of the screw in types that have a "Half Pipe" that's part of the plug that does not allow it to fall out when unscrewed preventing my old tired brain from loosing it! Took all of 15 minutes to change....make sure to clean & dry the hole & then caulk it up inside the hole with 3M 5200.

Thks for input.  I assume you left the brass sleeve in place and new plug assembly slid into it?

On 8/22/2019 at 8:33 PM, dotschaser said:

Thks for input.  I assume you left the brass sleeve in place and new plug assembly slid into it?

I changed mine too from the OEM brass to this but the whole assembly had to come out. The hand tighten stainless version is a bit different than the brass one.  Same overall size but wont thread in to the OEM.

Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 8.41.01 PM.png

• 1 year later...

At first I felt the same wondering why but I admit I like the idea of having this style on the HPX.  Since the cockpit drains into the bilge, I find it to be safer in case it rains an enormous amount or you have a large wave come over the bow dumping into cockpit and your bilge pump quits on you.  Using the rubber plug internally would allow you to drain boat as you are running it.  Obviously this isn't something I would recommend unless absolutely needed.  That said, I only put the rubber plug internally when camping in Everglades.  If it's just for a day trip, I place the plug from the outside.