Happy Lappy

Best motor for a Redfisher 18 Lappy

Hey guys,

I'm starting my research into repowering my 92 Redfisher.  It currently has a 92 120 Evinrude on it which has been a solid motor, no jack plate, and no trim tabs.  Runs 43 with two guys and a half a tank of gas.  I'm willing to install tabs and a JP if recommended or needed.   What are your thoughts is the best motor for this boat ?  New or used

20190614_181538.jpg

Dunno a Lappy from a Labrador, but we have the Yami 115 Vmax SHO and 4 blade prop on our newer Redfisher 18. It matches your performance #'s with ease. Trim tabs are handy now and then to adjust out porpoising but not mandatory. Jack plate is only used when I don't read skinny water well, but really handy for that. In terms of boat performance I could probably live without either.

• Like 1

Not many choices other than a 115 from all the manufacturers unless you go 140 in a Suzuki, anything bigger and your gonna have some serious stern squat.  Evinrude made a 135 HP but it was a detuned 150 which is a v-6 motor. They also offered a v-4 in 130 but stopped making them for some reason.

In the same week the VRO fuel pump and the primer solenoid started leaking fuel.  So I'm working on that now during a perfect flood tide week here in northeast Florida.

If it is a crossflow motor you would be better off going with a block mounted fuel pump and eliminate the VRO and just mix your gas & oil. To repair one of those is $15 VS $400 for a new VRO. I also believe they can be mounted on a loop charged motor, just need to clarify.

The original owner converted the VRO and premixed the oil and gas.  The VRO finally crapped out last week and that's what I'm working on now.  Switching to the double fuel pump

20190725_202544.jpg

2 minutes ago, Happy Lappy said:

The original owner converted the VRO and premixed the oil and gas.  The VRO finally crapped out last week and that's what I'm working on now.  Switching to the double fuel pump

You will be happy with the double fuel pump.  Much heartier.   

Then there Happy Lappy, disregard  my post. You are going the right route. I mounted mine right to the block, just under the VRO is a plug and that port pulses off of engine vacuum. I also only ran one pump for the v-4.