Best motor for a Redfisher 18 Lappy

Happy Lappy

Hey guys,

I'm starting my research into repowering my 92 Redfisher.  It currently has a 92 120 Evinrude on it which has been a solid motor, no jack plate, and no trim tabs.  Runs 43 with two guys and a half a tank of gas.  I'm willing to install tabs and a JP if recommended or needed.   What are your thoughts is the best motor for this boat ?  New or used

20190614_181538.jpg

Dunno a Lappy from a Labrador, but we have the Yami 115 Vmax SHO and 4 blade prop on our newer Redfisher 18. It matches your performance #'s with ease. Trim tabs are handy now and then to adjust out porpoising but not mandatory. Jack plate is only used when I don't read skinny water well, but really handy for that. In terms of boat performance I could probably live without either.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok guys, I need your help with this motor.  Between college football, NFL football, coaching two baseball teams, one flag football team, and attending volleyball games and swim meets I'm starting to have a little time to continue to mess with this boat.  Here's the latest with this motor over the last four weekends.

Weekend #1  Put new gauges in the boat.  Ran it in the driveway.  cranked up just fine, revved it up in neutral without any problems even at high rpm's.  Saw that it didn't have much fuel so I dumped some Seafoam in the tank and let it run for close to 45 minutes with the thought of using all the old gas.  Next day I put in 10 gallons of fresh non-ethonal and put it in the water.  Ran it at the dock for about 20 minutes, smoked for about 10 minutes (seafoam).  idled out to the end of the no wake sign (1/2 mile) gave it some gas to get on plane and it died.  after that I couldn't get it started back up.  Next day in the drive it started right back up.  Ran it at high rpm's in neutral and also in gear without any problems.  Put the boat back in storage.

Weekend #2 Ran it in the driveway.  cranked up just fine, ran it at high rpm's in neutral and in gear without any problems.  Took it to the water.  Ran it at the dock for about 20 minutes idled out to the end of the no wake sign (1/2 mile) gave it some gas to get on plane and it died.  after that I couldn't get it started back up.  Same as the previous weekend.  Put the boat back in storage.

Weekend #3  Purchased a carb kit, removed the carbs, cleaned them, and did the reinstall.  They actually looked pretty good.  After I did the carbs motor started right up, and ran fine in the driveway until I put it in reverse.  Once i did that it ran for a few minutes then died and couldn't get it started back up.  Put the *** thing back in storage.

Weekend #4 Installed new plugs, new primer bulb, new inline fuel filter.  Started in the driveway just fine, ran fine when in gear both forward and reverse.  However when i would try to increase the throttle while it was in gear it would sputter and every so often a small back fire at the higher RPMs.

issue seems to be at high rpm's under a load.

Things I've done

Replaced cracked bypassed VRO pump with dual fuel pump 

rebuilt carbs

new inline fuel filter

new primer bulb

installed water fuel separator last summer (might need to change filter)

new plugs

new ignition switch

new kill switch

new plugs

compression is 135 give or take a few 

Some time ago, I had an engine that behaved just like yours - ran fine until put in gear and increased throttle.  After "fixing" several things that I thought might be the problem, I finally had it checked out and was told by the mechanic that it was the "staters" whatever those are.  The shop installed new ones and it worked great.

Could be your high speed jets. Did you do a COMPLETE rebuild or just clean them up. When you put the cleaner in it breaks a lot of stuff loose, it could be a pick up is clogged from debris, use the primer bulb with the hose off the engine and pump ii and it should move a high volume of fuel coming out. Seafoam is also alcohol based and too much could eat rubber up so your bulb , the diagram in the pump(s) could have broken down, even the hose. It sounds like a fuel side problem. Also looks like your not pumping enough water, you should have a solid stream from the tattle tale coming out of the pan.

12 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Could be your high speed jets. Did you do a COMPLETE rebuild or just clean them up. When you put the cleaner in it breaks a lot of stuff loose, it could be a pick up is clogged from debris, use the primer bulb with the hose off the engine and pump ii and it should move a high volume of fuel coming out. Seafoam is also alcohol based and too much could eat rubber up so your bulb , the diagram in the pump(s) could have broken down, even the hose. It sounds like a fuel side problem. Also looks like your not pumping enough water, you should have a solid stream from the tattle tale coming out of the pan.

I plan on replacing the impeller within a week or two.  The primer bulb was just installed right before the video.  One thing I didn't do is replace my filter on the water/fuel separator.  Do you suggest I replace the fuel lines also?

You did have ethanol fuel in the boat and the older lines are not made for it and the rubber liner in the hose kinda comes off like paint from paint stripper. The lines are cheap, start at the tank to ensure the pick up is clear and no corrosion in the pick up fitting that may be causing air to be pulled in, and yes the filter is a must when putting in new lines. All this needs to be done anyway and is cheap considering it is a boat! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

You did have ethanol fuel in the boat and the older lines are not made for it and the rubber liner in the hose kinda comes off like paint from paint stripper. The lines are cheap, start at the tank to ensure the pick up is clear and no corrosion in the pick up fitting that may be causing air to be pulled in, and yes the filter is a must when putting in new lines. All this needs to be done anyway and is cheap considering it is a boat! 

To eliminate the tank and all associated lines get yourself a gas can and hook it up right off the motor.  This will tell you if it is a motor issue or fuel supply to the motor.  I had an issue like yours on a 97 Hewes I had.  It turned out to be the pickup tube inside the tank that had a restriction causing it to fall flat on its face under load. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 5:03 AM, mulligan said:

To eliminate the tank and all associated lines get yourself a gas can and hook it up right off the motor.  This will tell you if it is a motor issue or fuel supply to the motor.  I had an issue like yours on a 97 Hewes I had.  It turned out to be the pickup tube inside the tank that had a restriction causing it to fall flat on its face under load. 

I would try this first as it eliminates a chunk of variables.