Best inshore baitcaster

Sunstone

I use Shimano Calcutta 200, 250 ( trout , bass )  and  400  ( I use 400 for big Reds, Tripletail, Cobia, Tarpon )  we all know sometimes the targeted species doesn’t cooperate and we are either over or under tackled at times.....that’s fishing.  I recently set up a Revo Inshore series reel on a 7 ft Falcon BuCoo rod....for throwing Ned rig...but haven’t used enough for judgement on durability.

I have been using Shimano Calcutta’s for 20 years.  In fact I still have a couple that are still in use that are 20 years old.  In my opinion and personal experience there isn’t a better reel for longevity, ease of maintenance (the original “b” models that is), and performance than the Calcutta.  I can easily tear them apart, clean, lube and grease, and put back together in about 15 minutes - they are very simply designed and smooth as silk.  I am not endorsed by Shimano, but my money doesn’t buy any other brand for saltwater.  Also the Shimano Stradic spinning reels are incredibly smooth and reliable as well.  Now for freshwater bass I like Lew’s.    You can’t go wrong with a gold calcutta.

2 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

I use Shimano Calcutta 200, 250 ( trout , bass )  and  400  ( I use 400 for big Reds, Tripletail, Cobia, Tarpon )  we all know sometimes the targeted species doesn’t cooperate and we are either over or under tackled at times.....that’s fishing.  I recently set up a Revo Inshore series reel on a 7 ft Falcon BuCoo rod....for throwing Ned rig...but haven’t used enough for judgement on durability.

What weight plastics and spoons are you throwing with those?

2 hours ago, mdemott said:

What weight plastics and spoons are you throwing with those?

I’m throwing Zara Spooks....both regular and super on 12 lb Fins Braid with about 2 ft of 15# flour leader....also throw some 110 whopper flopper lures....with the 200....on a 7 ft or 8 ft med action with fast tip...I can throw 1/4 oz DOA or Z Man jig heads with paddle tail or Screw tails.....

on the 400’s ......two are rigged up on 8 ft Lamiglas Rods rigged for Cobia and large Tripletail ....currently using live pogies for this so they have 50# Braid on them because we fish range markers and structure and there are lots of opportunity for a cut line.

i do also use Shimano Stradics on 7 ft Falcon rods for throwing 1/8 oz jig heads and some Ned rigs. 

Im not endorsing any brand here...it’s simply what I have found to endure the test of time and saltwater use.

hope this helps...

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2019 at 6:14 PM, Big Dave said:

Related to this--right hand retrieve versus left hand retrieve?  I've tried bait casters in the past, but they were right hand retrieve and I could not get used to switching hands after the cast.  

I never understood that concept with plug reels and fly reels.  I prefer not switching hands too.  Most of my fly reels are LH retrieve and I love 'em.

• Like 1