hydraulic steering conversion

Rod Wrapper

I have a 2001 HPXV w/ 2 stroke Yamaha 90 and mechanical steering. I want to convert to hydraulic steering. Does anyone have any experience installing either Baystar or Seastar hydraulic steering? Did you have issues installing either? What are the benefits of one over the other? Is Seastar worth the extra cost?

Thanks

The Baystar system will work great on your boat. The Seastar system cost more because it is for larger motors. Baystar will handle you 90HP well and you will wonder how you ever did without hydraulic steering once it's installed.Not hard to install either, if you have problems your friend "Hobo" is right around the corner. :)

Not a hard project, I've taken apart the entire system on my Pathy22 05 when i had her...

That being said, it's not an hour or two job without experience...most likely worth the money to have a shop do it, unless you wait till no fishing time in December etc. and you have a free weekend..

Best to get a buddy over for the afternoon as it's easier with two people when you are pulling the lines, etc.

For a pro-your looking at 3-4 hours most likely for dis-***emble and re-***emble...for a DIY'r...figure double as you read directions, etc.

Baystar as mentioned, should foot your bill for a 90 hp....as they don't have a huge amount of torque on the prop....like larger 4 strokers.

And yes, it's night and day vs. mechanical, especially when in close quarters docking.

dc

I think the only problem you may encounter is the hydraulic cylinder striking the splash well when you tilt the motor up. You might want to look at one that is installed and take some measurements or maybe another member has the same boat that would confirm their is enough room. A jack-plate and motor mounting height might be the determining factors.

• 1 month later...

Just a final update on the hydraulic steering. I decided to go with a U-flex HiTech 1.0 kit. I spoke to a lot of people. Several people I spoke to were not satisfied with the Baystar system. It seems everyone was satisfied with the Seastar system, but it seemed like overkill on a 90.

My mechanic had recently installed the u-flex system and was very satisfied with it. The system is rated for up to a 150 horse motor. Hunter Glenn is one of the best, most honest boat mechanics in the Eastern United States, so I decided to go with his recommendation.

I installed the system myself. I encountered a few problems, but worked through them. The largest issue was getting the system bled. As it turned out. the helm in the kit was defective. I contacted U-flex, and they over-nighted me a new helm. I connected it, bled the systerm, and am good to go.

I can steer the boat with one finger. I don't know why I did not do this years ago.

Rod Wrapper, thanks for p***ing along the advice. My 92 MA18 needs a new steering cylinder, which I am going to buy/install this spring. I may swap all of it out and get a new helm too.

RE: rod building, I had Sierra Nets build me a inlaid turquoise and copper reel seat for a Tom Morgan gl*** blank I am going to build up this winter (hopefully). Visiting your site now...

RB:

That is exactly what I purchased. The bleeding issue was caused by a defective helm, which the company promptly replaced.

The other issue was getting the hydraulic lines through the bilge up to the console. I found that I had to feed them FROM the console into the bilge and then up through the hole for the motor controls.

Other than those two issues, it was a very easy install.

One other thing that might make this easier for HPXV owners. To take the mechanical sterring out, typically you need to remove the motor. I did not want to do that. I cut the steering cable near the motor nut with a Sawzall with metal cutting blade. It would be almost impossible to cut by hand. After cutting it, it pulled out with no trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Uflex Hyco is an excellent product (doing my MA now)the basic difference is the design in the cylinder and how it's installed. The square cylinder won't twist under torque and load, so it won't leak at the seals and will offer better long term value. You also don't need to pull the motor, the split tube design allows the cylinder to be installed without much effort.

My mechanic told me he would not have to dismount the engine for the Baystar but he would for the Uflex (opposite of what I read here).

The Baystar helm was improved.

Replacement seals were available for the steering cylinder for the Baystar while the Ustar would have to be sent in to the factory.

In general he was more comfortable and familiar with the system.

The Baystar was improved but there is no need to remove the motor to install the Uflex Hyco. even though the seal kits were improved they'll need to be replaced because of the design, yes the Uflex cylinder would have to be returned but they'll also send one in before the replacement. Key factor is the Uflex cylinders have much better longevity. But, everyone has a comfort level and that matters right? You should ask owners that run the opposing systems as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived