Insurance for new boat

OlivierHPS2300

I use Foremost. It was a little more expensive, but USAA stopped selling boat insurance (it was a GEICO policy), so I went with the Foremost policy sold thru my friend's independent insurance biz. Another friend had to make a claim with the same company, and the customer service and follow-up was incredible with Foremost.

I've been with Progressive for years with multiple racing sailboats and my Hewes.  I've had two claims - a collision and theft of a new sail.  In both cases they were exceptional to deal with and it was four years between incidents so my deductible was zero to boot.  They're also really easy with insuring obscure boats (like my Italian made carbon fiber A-cat catamaran sailboat) whereas I have previously spent hours on the phone with someone like State Farm trying to explain what the boat was and ultimately gave up when they couldn't find it in their database (which is why I'm with Progressive on all my watercraft).

I am an anti Progressive based on the auto side. Perhaps they are better if you are the insured but one of their insured rear ended a fam members car doing about 10K in damage and Progressive was the worlds worst to deal with. Fought with us (and we were not at fault) over everything from rentals to repairs. Everything was just hoops and hoops. Had similar event occur to me a year prior and the person who hit me had insurance via state farm and they were fantastic. The suggested I go to doc,  delivered a rental that was waiting before my truck was towed to the body shop and covered everything and including paying me for "diminished value" basically the car fax hit I would take...pun intended. 

With that said...I wouldn't use the farm for boat insurance either...have Charter Lakes Insurance which is Gallaghers Marine insurance company. They know boats, have no quabble about agreed value and let me mod when I add new electronics power pole etc. Yup they even know what power poles are 😃

I have progressive also for the last 13 yrs. super easy to work with. Both on auto and boat. I have some jam up insurance on boat with towing and prop and propulsion coverage on the boat. Hopefully i never need any of that but good to have. Also have a coverage if the trailer goes kaput and i am more than 50 miles from home they pay 100.00 a night for hotel and 20.00 a night for food. Never used that yet hopefully never will

5 hours ago, triplec said:

I am an anti Progressive based on the auto side. Perhaps they are better if you are the insured but one of their insured rear ended a fam members car doing about 10K in damage and Progressive was the worlds worst to deal with. Fought with us (and we were not at fault) over everything from rentals to repairs. Everything was just hoops and hoops. Had similar event occur to me a year prior and the person who hit me had insurance via state farm and they were fantastic. The suggested I go to doc,  delivered a rental that was waiting before my truck was towed to the body shop and covered everything and including paying me for "diminished value" basically the car fax hit I would take...pun intended. 

With that said...I wouldn't use the farm for boat insurance either...have Charter Lakes Insurance which is Gallaghers Marine insurance company. They know boats, have no quabble about agreed value and let me mod when I add new electronics power pole etc. Yup they even know what power poles are 😃

Nationwide is a similar hassle when you are the victim.  I've had to deal with them twice in car accidents where I was the victim and both times it was a horrible experience.  I wouldn't ever buy insurance through them as a result.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...