My stolen Pathfinder recovered

justfish

Over a year after being taken from my house, my old Pathfinder was recovered. The story almost sounds made up, but... A special thanks to my BIL and  (former?) forum member who’s on Jax Sheriffs Marine unit for recognizing and recovery of it. Along with some gear that wasn’t insured that I got to take back, I also recovered a knife that used to belong to an old fishing friend that passed that was given to me by his son.  I can’t express how happy just that made me. 

It’s mostly in one piece but rode hard and put up wet. I had literally just gone through this boat stem to stern and replaced anything that needed it, replaced every connector and cleaned up wiring , new powerpole, simrad, two new Torsion axels, had whole boat wet sanded etc. so it definitely hurts to see it like  this but I’m glad they aren’t enjoying it anymore. 

Boat was found about hour away - same color, same FL #’s. Has about 75 more hours than it did when it was taken so really irritating that these clowns used it more than I used the replacement boat. 

I am happy in my current boat but tried talking with progressive about making an offer to see if I could recover some of my $ I lost on all this but was told their policy is to just send to auction. 

2E457651-16FA-4961-AFD6-3F16849EFC0E.jpeg

D254FBDF-40C5-43FF-9138-A5A6238DB6BC.jpeg

957DE4DD-8019-4544-AB83-91BE71974FA9.jpeg

3C931D94-BE7E-4435-8267-ADC38CE6DA55.jpeg

3625EC8A-5478-4EFF-A213-3FFFE7B30D50.jpeg

DB9FAA8E-C64C-4402-B853-2FF3B902EF8C.jpeg

8A9FF41C-3E2D-4F44-AD97-CA0AF59D8DE3.jpeg

11 minutes ago, justfish said:

Not by me. I am happy with new boat and have no intention of another boat project 

I hope they allowed you to keep the knife. My parent's house was broken into once. The dirtbags only got caught because they tried to kill a gas station attendant during a robbery in Brunswick. One of the items they stole from the house was a watch that the Navy gave my dad for being the top aviator of the year. Even though he described the watch (during the initial investigation) and it had his initials on it, the Chatham County police (yes, I'm calling them out here) wouldn't let him have it back because it wasn't 100% identifiable to him. Glad to see the boat recovered, hope the perps get a good jail sentence, and hope this gives you some closure.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Auction minus the prop . 😛

Did better than that I think.  Since I hadn’t finished installing the powerpole when it was stolen (these clowns made some attempt to finish) I argued that it was my equipment and not part of the boat. They actually agreed and let me pull it off. 

Along with the other dings they somehow managed to dent the middle of the pole? But it was still actually working today 

28504CF3-57D3-47BC-AEBD-32D4A75CFD72.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

Did the police catch the SOB that stole your boat ?

Guy said it was his brothers boat and when they called brother he immediately hung up, so they are gonna follow that lead.

I figured being in possession of stolen property was arrest-able, but this isn’t the case.  Maybe one of our LEO members can shed some more light on this for everyone, but I guess you have to prove they knew it was stolen to arrest them?  

My brother in law found it and I’m sure if anyone woulda done something to the guy, he would have. Sounds like the law is in the thief's favor   

• Confused 1

The thieves up in North Florida are actually kinda of nice, sounds like they just wanted to go fishing. I still think they should have their ***e$ handed to them and should be put in jail. That being said if it was stolen in South Florida it would have been chain sawed apart, motor sent to south america and the parts sold locally. The chances of getting a boat back in whole condition down here are very slim.

I remember when it got stolen, you were still in the middle of the house raising and recovering from a second flood, i guess it is never a good time when someone steals your boat!

10 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

The thieves up in North Florida are actually kinda of nice, sounds like they just wanted to go fishing. I still think they should have their ***e$ handed to them and should be put in jail. That being said if it was stolen in South Florida it would have been chain sawed apart, motor sent to south america and the parts sold locally. The chances of getting a boat back in whole condition down here are very slim.

I remember when it got stolen, you were still in the middle of the house raising and recovering from a second flood, i guess it is never a good time when someone steals your boat!

Jail??? Far too lenient. Hang 'em. 

21 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

It looks like they took it to sandbar and tied up with no numbers and let every boat there’s bang into it. 

You  have a good memory , I  brought it home from where I as working on it  the week or so before we were to move back into house and they took it a few days later. Working on this boat last spring was a great distraction for me for a rough time I’m my life and for that I will always be grateful to it.  

• Like 1

You gotta have some big ones to steal a mans boat. A even bigger pair to ride around and put 75 hours on it.

Now that I think about it they are just stupid. I have never heard of someone stealing a boat and then actually run around in the thing using it like it was theirs.. I also never heard of not being in trouble for possession of stolen property. What if this was a car? Makes no sense!

On 7/16/2019 at 9:10 AM, justfish said:

Sounds like the law is in the thief's favor   

One would think. He certainly could have been arrested. Most state attorneys will not prosecute and some judicial circuits have issued directions not to arrest as they will not prosecute. Statute is same for autos and thats where their decisions arise from. I reckon its a tad difficult to prove he stole it but the thats a different benchmark than arrest. Probable cause is what the officer needs, proof beyond a reasonable doubt is what the state attorney needs. There are other charges that could be brought. If he made statement he bought the boat from his brother and didn't pay the taxes...yup...ha...ie register it...then there's that. I am sure the BIL is working hard within the parameters of Ms Nelsons office and the regs of the 4th judicial circuit. I am just not convinced her office is as aggressive to get the seemingly small stuff addressed like lowly boat thieves as her predecessor was. Further complicating it is that it was stolen in yet another jurisdiction so it really depends on how that agency sinks their teeth into investigating it further. The 7th circuit is a bit more focused on prosecuting the lessor offenses I believe so if the reporting agency works the case... the chances are better someone goes to jail. Clear as mud huh....Glad you were able to reclaim some property regardless!

7 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Justfish - I remember when this thing went down as well.   At the time, you suspected it might be related to the guys doing work on the house.  Any connection there?

The guys they are looking to appear to be roofers according to their FB. We didn’t get any roof damage this last storm but tons of roof work in our neighborhood, so I would bet they were workin in the neighborhood 

As triplec said, sounds like just cause he/they wasn’t charged when the boat was recovered, doesnt mean they won’t be. JSO took my simrad out so hoping these idiots were dumb enough to leave the track on  sometime in last year when they took it home or something like that so putting them in jail would be a slam dunk 

As far as vigilante justice, you wouldn’t believe the fantasies that have run through my head of pulling up on the sandbar and seeing this boat...

They also stole my masons work trailer the next night, so hoping they find it connected with these boys.  He does nice work, I’m sure he could make some fine concrete boots for these guys...

• Haha 1