Bull Red Fish trip Recommendations

Headhunter

I am in a group of guys that takes a "fishing" trip every year together. This year we went to Belize, had fun, but decided to stick closer to home next year.  We would like to chase bull red fish next year in Louisiana, Texas or Mississippi. Looking for recommendations of a turn key deal for a group of 10-12.

Any guidance is always appreciated.

Do you want site casting or not? That is really what you have to decided. If you want non-site casting, Capt Brad  Schmidt in Port Sulpher, LA is who I recommend. He has the ability to handle a party of your size and you can stay in his east or west river side camps that are nice. If you want site casting, I would recommend going to the Biloxi marsh. That is a different deal. You will either have to stay in a mothership out in the marsh or make the run out there from land. Gjuro Bruer has a mothership. Another guy you can talk with is Greg Arnold.

In April we stayed at the Woodland Plantation. Woodland Plantation is a historic plantation converted into a "bed and breakfast" type of lodging. The food was incredible and there's guides that fish right out of the plantation. We fished two mornings with a guide. Under not perfect conditions, the Mississippi was very high, the fishing was incredible. The first morning we released several redfish over 40". The second morning we released several between 30 to 35". I did not expect the fantastic fishing we got. Woodland is about a 40 minute drive to Venice where we launched. For a group of anglers, I think Woodland would be perfect. Best of luck!

There are plenty of vrbo options at venice marina that could handle those numbers. Lots of guides around there, too. 

Something you may consider is a trip down to Port Eads. Cool place in the South Pass for a group like that. Plenty of Bull Reds down there!

Was thinking the sam thing, Nag.  Pamlico is full of them in August-Sept.  Nothing like throwing topwater or popping corks for them in  <5 ft of water.   These are recent pics from my buddies, they will only get thicker over the next 30 days.   Check out Richard Andrews, TarPam website for some recent reports.

54052.jpeg

53744.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hey Nag and Which.  Where are those Reds Hiding (closest town)?  That might be a good weekend trip for me.  You guys guide?

That is crazy about Port Eades.  When I was down there two years ago, I could NOT believe how well built that place was.  It was basically brand new and looked like Fort Knox.  Can't imagine that not surviving any storm thrown at it.  We were actually fishing within yards of there when a Hurricane evac notice came out.  We had about 48 hours before the storm started rolling in.  There was a boat tied up in a slip on the north end of the Port.  There was a guy and gal working the Port and both were in that boat moving it around to the protected cut where the other docks were.  He was on the bow and she was behind the wheel.  He must have said Full Power Back and she must have heard Full Power Attack.  That boat almost stood straight up on the dock.  We all covered our eyes.  Couldn't watch.  So we kept on fishing and then hailed the port on the radio.  The lady answered and we asked if the kitchen was open.  She said she would cook us anything.  Got some sandwiches and a 6pack of bud light.  That was a $30.00 6-pack.  Man were they good.  We caught several Reds down there.  Even caught a Largemouth Bass.  All had monster craws in their bellies.  I was shocked that there were crawfish & bass (freshwater) that far down.  Hope they figure out something at Port Eades.  That is a special place.  There is a good man standing watch over the Port.  Had the honor of leaving some ashes there.  Guess he has that spot all to him self for now.  

1 hour ago, rubble said:

Hey Nag and Which.  Where are those Reds Hiding (closest town)?  That might be a good weekend trip for me.  You guys guide?

That is crazy about Port Eades.  When I was down there two years ago, I could NOT believe how well built that place was.  It was basically brand new and looked like Fort Knox.  Can't imagine that not surviving any storm thrown at it.  We were actually fishing within yards of there when a Hurricane evac notice came out.  We had about 48 hours before the storm started rolling in.  There was a boat tied up in a slip on the north end of the Port.  There was a guy and gal working the Port and both were in that boat moving it around to the protected cut where the other docks were.  He was on the bow and she was behind the wheel.  He must have said Full Power Back and she must have heard Full Power Attack.  That boat almost stood straight up on the dock.  We all covered our eyes.  Couldn't watch.  So we kept on fishing and then hailed the port on the radio.  The lady answered and we asked if the kitchen was open.  She said she would cook us anything.  Got some sandwiches and a 6pack of bud light.  That was a $30.00 6-pack.  Man were they good.  We caught several Reds down there.  Even caught a Largemouth Bass.  All had monster craws in their bellies.  I was shocked that there were crawfish & bass (freshwater) that far down.  Hope they figure out something at Port Eades.  That is a special place.  There is a good man standing watch over the Port.  Had the honor of leaving some ashes there.  Guess he has that spot all to him self for now.  

Yeah man, shoot me a PM and I’ll help you set something up. I’m in Wilmington but ran trips in Southport.