New camera

johnd

Well I broke down and have joined the digital world. Used to be a few simple things: f stop, speed, ISO & focus... This new camera is more complex than my grandkids Nintendo games.

So if I can fiqure it all out, including how to move photos to the laptop, I hope to join you all & post some nicer (I.e. Not iPhone) photos here

D3300 before you ask.

Well I broke down and have joined the digital world. Used to be a few simple things: f stop, speed, ISO & focus... This new camera is more complex than my grandkids Nintendo games.

So if I can fiqure it all out, including how to move photos to the laptop, I hope to join you all & post some nicer (I.e. Not iPhone) photos here

D3300 before you ask.

John,

I suggest you go on Lynda.com and enroll in their on-line courses..

You can go all you can eat for like $40 a month...great stuff and it has from basics to advanced..

Also, glad to see you went Nikon...if I can do anything to help you, send me a PM with your number and I'll walk you through some basics.

1.) Go on youtube.com there is a photographer call the "NIKON GUY" who does great videos.

2.) Adorama.com has some good info on photography 101 to advanced

3.) Check the iTunes store..they usually have some good information in their app store for reference books

4.) Learn to shoot in Apeture mode...this way you control your depth of field (blurriness in the background)

5.) Buy the best gl*** you can afford...buy FX gl*** if you can afford it as you might decide to move on to a FX camera if you like the hobby...I've found Sigma and Tameron to be good non oem gl***

Hope this helps...enjoy the hobby..and yes, they are complex..but, like a fishing rod in your hand, the more time you fiddle..the better you cast !!!

dc

• 1 month later...

DC: thanks!

I grew up shooting Nikon, back in the days of Paul Simon singing Kodachrome :) Having the ability to adjust Fstops and speed was all I wanted in a camera... though must say this 'auto focus' thing is pretty cool when I was at my grandson's football game (and my eyes are not what they were 30+ years ago)

I'm carrying it on the boat, though with this wind not much boating.. watching YouTube videos and learning how to use this body and len(s).

Think you are right, it's like a fishing rod - need to use it more to get the hang of it. Thanks for suggestions and when I hit a snag, I will reach out.

Archived