Livewell Drain cracked - solutions

benji922

My buddy just got a bonefisher that is near identical to mine, just a little older. As I have been helping him get everything up and in working order, we discovered a leak.  I thought at first it was my livewell plumbing gone bad, but after eliminating that, and other common leak spots (under rail connection between hull and cap, hull cracks, bilge and livewell tubing, etc.) the old fill the hull up with water trick revealed that the copper(i think) thru hull drain has corroded and there is a crack between the livewell and the stern. So unless you were to plug both sides of the drain (temporary fix for now) there will always be water leaking.  Please see pic for location reference (Below and right of poling platform support. Picture is from my skiff which has threaded plug, the skiff in question does not, see below). 

What says the powerful MBGForum on the best way to fix this. The fitting appears to be flanged on both ends, so I have not been able  to brainstorm an easy removal technique, or what to replace with.  Would rather not just fill the crack  with 5200. 

A8-C036-A7-A848-45-EE-80-DB-239-EBE38-E9

it's probably going to take some surgery but before you start cutting, know your target.  I recommend a bore scope camera to really identify where the issue is.  It could just be the flange at the stern and removing that fitting may give you access to everything you need to repair.

I know this sounds like an advert (it's not) but I just bought one of these $28 borescope cameras to retrieve a $15 SS nut plate from the nether regions of my hull (and to have for every other time I could use one) - it works well...has a few attachments that come in handy too.  I would put that in the drain tube and see if you can find exactly where the problem is.

That said, my Hewes experience is limited - it's possible that this is a common issue and someone may chime in with a faster solution...fingers crossed! ;-).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's not a bad idea to have around. In this case the drain is only about three inches long and I can see all the way through it from the stern to the livewell. I can see and feel the crack on the bottom of the fitting about halfway in (which is also the gap between the livewell and stern fiberglass in the bilge). If anyone has any input on removal and replacement it would be much appreciated.  

• 2 weeks later...

If your talking about the brass drain plug that is threaded, it is not a one piece fitting. Or at least not like any I have every seen anyway. Those 3 screws and some type of sealant are all that is holding it. Not sure about the flange you refer to inside. It appears to be common drain plug which would not be a one piece thru hull with any flange. Im guessing the flange would be something added to help water drain from a corner perhaps or bottom and is only held in with sealant. 

Screen_Shot_2019-07-29_at_9_41.59_PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 9.45.31 PM.png