Ameratrail vs. Rolls Axle for my Pathfinder 2400 TRS

I'm going to have a 2400 TRS built for me and wanted to get some opinions on trailers. I have owned a 2200 TE and a 2400 TRS and both had Ameratrail trailers which worked fine. The only issue I had was with the 2400 trailer, the front cross member wouldn't clear steep boat ramps, I would have to change hitches and use a 7 " rise to clear steep ramps. All my research says the Rolls Axle is probably the best made trailer out there, I like how they through bolt the bunks and don't use springs or torsion bars. Any thoughts? Thanks.

AmeraTrail is the only trailer I have ever owned that the had bunks “ROT”. All the trailers I owned before were older and not considered as upper tier trailers. But I never in my life bought a trailer bunk until I bought a 4 or 5 year old AmeriTrail under my pathfinder. 

• Like 1

I’ve owned two AmeraTrails in 17 years....the first one was under a 2400v and I replaced hubs and wheel bearings twice in 7 years. It had the big giant rear bunks ( at least 4” x 10” x8 ft. turned upright for the boat to sit on ) and never had a problem. 

The one I have now is a 2009 Amera Trail and it’s under a 2200xl ....the bunks on this one are 2” x 6” laying flatwise , two for stern to midship and two for bow....I have replaced all 4 of those bunks, plus both axles, hubs and bearings. This trailer does get dunked quite often , however it has been washed thoroughly after every use. The sitting all day at boat ramp after a early morning launch is no good on the trailer. Both trailers had torsion axles....no leaf springs.....both trailers were / are tandem axles.

Brakes:  All brakes were removed on both trailers after about three years due to severe corrosion.....when I replaced the axles this time from Tie Down Engineering ( which is what Amera Trail uses ) I bought torsion axles with no brakes. 

I pull the rig with a 2500 series GMC and have no problems slowing down or stopping.....drive sensible 

I would always recommend tandem axle trailers for a 22 ft Pathfinder or larger....if you spend any time or miles on the highway. 

I cant speak for the Rolls axle because I’ve never owned one....but, I hear good things.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 9:58 PM, jason p said:

I’m on my second Ameratrail and I don’t think they’re anything special, especially for what they charge for them. I buy used boats so I never paid the premium for one but if spending that kind of money I’d go with the Rolls. 

X2 but that is just my opinion. Dans trailers are legit. 

On 7/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, captaincowart said:

I'm going to have a 2400 TRS built for me and wanted to get some opinions on trailers. I have owned a 2200 TE and a 2400 TRS and both had Ameratrail trailers which worked fine. The only issue I had was with the 2400 trailer, the front cross member wouldn't clear steep boat ramps, I would have to change hitches and use a 7 " rise to clear steep ramps. All my research says the Rolls Axle is probably the best made trailer out there, I like how they through bolt the bunks and don't use springs or torsion bars. Any thoughts? Thanks.

They ride on a cushion hub. I't is a bit stiffer than a leaf or torsion but no failure. 

• Like 1

I had a Rolls Axle under my Hewes. Incredible trailer. Never had a single maintenance issue with it. That included bearings and I owned it for almost 9yrs. Not many people around here have seen and all-aluminum Rolls, and when they saw mine, they were amazed at it. If you plan on submerging your trailer at a boat ramp, the Roll is the way to go. EVERYTHING on it is aluminum. The only "issue" I had was that it would float after the boat was off the trailer due to the larger tires I had on it, and lack of anything steel to hold it on the bottom. No biggie to me though. My plan was to have some custom lead blocks made to add weight when in the water.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

I had a Rolls Axle under my Hewes. Incredible trailer. Never had a single maintenance issue with it. That included bearings and I owned it for almost 9yrs. Not many people around here have seen and all-aluminum Rolls, and when they saw mine, they were amazed at it. If you plan on submerging your trailer at a boat ramp, the Roll is the way to go. EVERYTHING on it is aluminum. The only "issue" I had was that it would float after the boat was off the trailer due to the larger tires I had on it, and lack of anything steel to hold it on the bottom. No biggie to me though. My plan was to have some custom lead blocks made to add weight when in the water.

Was it single axle? Never had a dual float. 

On 7/16/2019 at 9:24 AM, Dobey1 said:

Was it single axle? Never had a dual float. 

The Rolls I had under my Young 20 was a tandem.  *** thing floated like a boat!  If somebody had told me their trailer floated, I never would believed them.  As HewesYourDaddy posted, it's easy enough to fix by adding some lead weight or Dan can mount some bar stock on it.  Great trailer, my second one.  I can't comment on Ameritrail as I've never owned one.

On 7/20/2019 at 1:09 PM, BCPD199 said:

The Rolls I had under my Young 20 was a tandem.  *** thing floated like a boat!  If somebody had told me their trailer floated, I never would believed them.  As HewesYourDaddy posted, it's easy enough to fix by adding some lead weight or Dan can mount some bar stock on it.  Great trailer, my second one.  I can't comment on Ameritrail as I've never owned one.

I had Dan build one for my 22TE and it never floated. 

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:50 AM, HewesYourDaddy said:

I had a Rolls under my 18 RF.  Best trailer I have ever owned.  Their lifetime spring system is second to none.  Mine also floated if I backed in a little too deep.  All in all best trailer I've seen or owned. 

Ameritrail may look a little "fancier" but you over pay for that "fancy" and their axles rot out like all the others. 

• Like 2

I'm having Dan at Rolls Axle build my trailer, I asked him if there was an issue with them floating. He said the older ones had some issues, 1999 or older, he said they corrected the issue by adding more weight to the back end. Rolls Axle is the only innovative trailer out there, it is a lifetime trailer. I'm also getting stainless steel hubs, so it should be good to go for a long time.

• Like 1