Anybody know a cork that won't tangle?

nicecast

I'm a live bait guy and use Cajun Thunders quite often; I'm sick and tired of tangles! 

My usual technique is PowerPro to top swivel of the Thunder tied with a cinch knot, and 18-24" of 20-30# flouro leader to the hook. I use another cinch knot where leader meets the Thunder, and usually a loop knot at the hook. The real problem area is at the top, where PowerPro meets the top swivel.

What am I doing wrong!? Is there a better brand of cork, or a technique that is less likely to tangle?

Oh, and if anyone sees a flourescent yellow/green Thunder moving around Whitehorse Key, grab it. There's a nice slot redfish attached to it - broken off due to a tangle!

5 minutes ago, DWoodham said:

What Bernie said, except I use a 6-8” piece of fluro. It is stiffer than mono and more likely to keep the braid away from the cork. (Plus I don’t keep mono around).... it makes a huge difference. Good luck 

I never thought of that. Are you using the same lb test or 40 like bernieNC said? 

47 minutes ago, Shallowminded6 said:

I never thought of that. Are you using the same lb test or 40 like bernieNC said? 

I would think a 30 lb fluro would work fine. I just happen to have a 300 yd spool of 40 lb mono with no use for it so I am using it and it does the job. I figure I can tie a lifetime of popping corks w/ that one spool. All the corks stored on the boat get about 18” tied on out of the package so they are ready to go.

I was taught something many moons ago. Take a Cajun Thunder (One with a bent wire is good if you have one.) , snip the wire on both ends saving the swivels, and the beads. Take a very heavy piece of mono (Not so heavy that the beads cant slide easily!) cut the right size so that it is the correct length when you crimp or knot the ends. Using crimps or knots put the item back together so that it had the same appearance as before with the mono replacing the wire. You can add a freely sliding lead below the two brass beads so that its easier to cast and has better tipping action. The "clicking" noise from the brass beads is approximately as loud as it was with the wire. You can also add a brass bead or two for more sound. I found that it did not tangle as much especially if as mentioned above, you added a trace of floro leader before the float. 

Bubba

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bernieNC said:

I use a piece of 6" 40 lb. mono between the cork and the running line (Power Pro). This helps keep the limp braid away from the wire and reduce/eliminate tangles. Yes you are adding another knot but it far out weighs the tangles. Good luck.

Exactly....I even use 60 lb flour0 - it's a bit more rigid than the 40....I also will add a green bead to the top to prevent it from banging your last rod tip eye....

I typically fish with 10 lb suffix 832 line....

I also use split shot, large on the base of the cork  to give it a bit more weight and it holds the pop'n cork in up right...

BTW, I do not use Cajun thunder....I use the other one with the titanium wire as it seems to hold better....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRHPTZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bomber's...I like orange as you can seem them better where I fish than green.

DC

I cut the wire out of my Cajun Thunder poppers and re_rig  with 100 pound mono.  I put a know at the top of the popper and then crimp a swivel about 6 to 8 inches above the cork and tie my braid to that.  Does the trick for me.  One of the things I dislike about Canjun Thunder is their wire bends when retrieved from the mangroves which just irritates the heck out of me

Dan

14 hours ago, Reel Special 3 said:

I cut the wire out of my Cajun Thunder poppers and re_rig  with 100 pound mono.  I put a know at the top of the popper and then crimp a swivel about 6 to 8 inches above the cork and tie my braid to that.  Does the trick for me.  One of the things I dislike about Canjun Thunder is their wire bends when retrieved from the mangroves which just irritates the heck out of me

Dan

What's a mangrove??? LOL

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2019 at 6:41 AM, bernieNC said:

I use a piece of 6" 40 lb. mono between the cork and the running line (Power Pro). This helps keep the limp braid away from the wire and reduce/eliminate tangles. Yes you are adding another knot but it far out weighs the tangles. Good luck.

This^^^^

Braided line floats and is limp. Pop Cork back to a limp wad of floating braid and you now have a tangle.

Great discussion and answers - thanks! Seems I'm not alone with tangling issues!

I rigged a few of my current thunders with 6" of mono at the top and will give that a try. I'll also do some customizing and remove the wire on some others. I think I may have a Bomber or two, as well. Again, great suggestions.

Tight lines!