Key Largo kids fishing

brew1891

Headed to key largo at the end of the month. Only my second time in the keys. Thinking of dragging the 22v down. Would like to take the kids out fishing a few times. Mine are younger...5-11 range...so action is more important than trophies or even keepers.  

Are the patch reefs a good plan A for kids? chum and drift baits?  drop to the bottom? both? read the other recent post about big pine so thinking of doing the 30' patch reef thing. 

Any better plan A's? 

Any ideas on plan B if its a little too sporty? Obviously if it's too nasty I won't take them out. Find some mangrove shorelines on the FL Bay side and chunk?

Thanks in advance. 

Hitting the patch reefs is a good idea, but like you said; it all depends on the weather. The bay side holds numerous channels that you can fish for all kinds of species. Are you staying on the bay side? I have been fishing with kids in Key Largo for over 20 years, including my own so there are ways to keep them entertained.