Texas (Galveston Bay) Fishing Report

CG RYAN

It was a great morning for fishing. Wind was moderate and from the ESE. Picked up two specs along the breakwater on the south side of North Deer Island. I released them to grow larger and make more specs for me to catch. Lost a couple more specs because I'm basically out of practice.

I also lost a couple of fish over by the Old ICW reefs. I hope for the same reason above!

This was my first keeper trout caught in the new Pathfinder. It's now officially a fishing boat!!

• 1 month later...

Went out about 8:00 this morning. What a beautiful day in Galveston!! Stopped off at Finger Reef and saw a lot of bait activity. Missed a couple of bites. I went over to Green's and didn't get any hits. Circled back to Finger Reef about 10:00 and picked up two nice sand trout and a big flounder. As usual I released them to grow bigger and repopulate the ecosystem.

Nice day of fishing!

Nice report. I plan to hit it hard here shortly. We are buying a house and that (and work) has slowed me down some. I wasnt on the boat yesterday but I was out over Galveston and it looked really nice with not too many boats. I did see two guys on one of my favorite spots. This was my view: https://www.dvidshub.net/video/450913/coast-guard-medevacs-heart-attack-victim-near-galveston#.VsmxWyArLnA.

Ill hopefully be posting a lot on this thread soon.

• 4 weeks later...

On the water before daylight today. Drifted Finger Reef several times and caught one each sand trout, spec trout and redfish. Wind was very calm until about 10:00 AM and then it came on strong. I headed to the house about 10:30. Bait of choice was Chicken on a Chain plastic shad with limetreuse tail. Haven't used anything else since December.

I ended up going to the houston fishing show instead of going out today. The weather as of last night said today would be windy and of course this morning was perfect. I will be hitting the water tomorrow afternoon to hopefully get some more flounder and then some trout/reds.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this back up. I was able to go out yesterday and today for a little fishing with the kids. SAT was slick calm and I ran from dickinson to east bay to west bay and back throughout the day. Spot one produced solid trout up to 25", I kept 4 and released about 10 or so more keepers in about 30min (I'm not greedy). From there I fished a couple east bay reefs catching keeper sized trout on each drift. As it started getting hot the kids got cranky so we just cruised from east bay down the ICW to greens lake. I have never been in there and did more scouting than actual fishing. I will definitely go back. It was a fun day on the water and the kids had fun. Today was supposed to be a little windy and as usual it was cranking out of the east. We couldnt fish where we did SAT so I ended up tucking in Dickinson and got a few trout and a stout upper slot red. It started raining and I called it a day at 10am. I will be posting as many reports as possible as the fishing heats up. All fish were caught on tidal surge split tails in plum/chart with a 1/4oz jig head. With all the fresh water in the bay the fish are on the bottom. Fish as slow as possible then slow it down a bit more.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow! It's been a while since I did a fish report. I actually forgot about this forum since I started using Twitter mostly. 

I've been catching about 10 to 15 trout per trip lately. I've been using croaker and the action has been steady. I've caught them in the middle of West Bay and yesterday at Finger Reef. 

Galveston Bait has been pretty steady with good size and fresh croaker. $12 per dozen is a little high but they are good.

Archived