DIW (Dead In the Water) story

DavisIslander

Love my boat, been using it frequently but I've killed the batteries twice since I purchased over a year ago.  Luckily got a jump the first time from a fellow fisherman.  Never could figure out why, until I finally stopped and looked.

So...took my RF18 out Monday and ran ran ran far from home here in Tampa Bay.  Davis Islands ramp to way past Beer Can Island. Used the trolling motor all day and chased big brown cobias, lost a nice 40incher at the boat (***).  Jumped a 5 foot blacktip on a big topwater plug (released at boat).

When it came time to head back to the ramp, that painful sound no one wants to hear, "click click"!  D E A D dead battery. 

I'm running a 24volt trolling motor system and a starting battery.  I have a Guest switch with a Guest 10amp charger.  See picture of the switch, anyone tell me what's wrong with it??  I know now, It's set to BOTH and what happens when you do that?  You DRAIN BOTH.  (1) is starting battery, (2) is 24 volt system.  Even their manual states "both" position parallels batteries for emergency use.

Don't be like Steve and not pay attention to your electrical system. 

Thankfully, SeaTow came out and we were able to jump it. 

Learned a very important lesson - KNOW YOUR EQUIPMENT.

Thanks

24voltBoat.jpg

SwitchBoat.jpg

I have the same battery selector as you and just recently mine has lost the detent position and it just spins without locking into position. I figured I had one more trip without it leaving me stranded so I went fishing Monday with BDSnook from the forum. It did the same as you described  on position "1" (click, click, dead)so I moved it to "both" and got it started then moved it back to "1" to get home. Luckily we did not get stranded but I called my local marine hardware store and ordered another one. I just need to get downtown to pick it up. Hopefully it won't be to hard to install.

Why do you think you go through batteries like you do?

55 minutes ago, lurem said:

I have the same battery selector as you and just recently mine has lost the detent position and it just spins without locking into position. I figured I had one more trip without it leaving me stranded so I went fishing Monday with BDSnook from the forum. It did the same as you described  on position "1" (click, click, dead)so I moved it to "both" and got it started then moved it back to "1" to get home. Luckily we did not get stranded but I called my local marine hardware store and ordered another one. I just need to get downtown to pick it up. Hopefully it won't be to hard to install.

Why do you think you go through batteries like you do?

When I said I killed them, charging them brought 'em back to life.  I haven't replaced them yet (knock on wood)...just need to be aware of which ones being drained with the trolling motors.  I'm glad you made it back safely - nothing worse than seeing your ramp five nautical miles away with a dying trolling motor and the current getting ready to switch! 

In the both position as your trolling motor pulled down the 24 volt pack it allowed it to drain the starting battery. It probably extended your Trolling motor time though.

understand the 2 position is only tied to one battery in the 24 volt pack so that you could use 12 volts as back up to the motor. Batteries will equalize when tied together so in both position the starting battery equalized with the one battery in the 24 volt pack

38 minutes ago, lurem said:

So your trolling motors died from trolling all day AND your starting motor died too? What caused the total discharge of your starting battery if you were trolling on the 2 batteries that are the ones for your trolling motor?

It was set on BOTH so both my starting battery AND my trolling motor batteries were being used (drained) while gallivanting around the Spoil Islands, Beer Can island, etc.  Not a good thing.

39 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Lots of people used to run on one going out and two headed back so that both batteries would get equal charge. 

Also the new add a battery with auto isolation for the cranking battery is a worth while investment 

Exactly! Hmmm auto isolation is a good thing, I do not want to be in that situation ever again. click click

X2 on Bernie's comment, My ion jumper started my diesel V6 300hp SUV.  I was amazed.  I never go out without the ion jumper, they work like a charm.  Size of a couple if packs of cigarettes  They cost about $60-70 .  Amazon has them all the time. Mine is DBpower. Don't leave the dock without it.

West Marine is having a sale on the Jumpstarter 700amp for $60 bucks.  Couldn't say NO and it's charging right now in my office. 

Curious that they state in the directions to never clamp directly on the negative battery terminal.  It's a fiberglass boat, where the &^&$ do I connect it then?  I know the possible risks of spark but it's in a clean environment.  Oh well...just glad I have one now.