Key West Tarpon on the flat

captbruce

New to the forum.

I've been a Key West guide for almost 40 years.

I am "kinda" restoring a '84 Hewes Bonfisher (the boat was already in pretty good condition, and I just got everything back to the way I like it.)and have some posts on the HEWES portion of this site.

Here's some schooling Tarpon on a flat NE of Key West taken mid April this year.

Thought you might enjoy it.

tarpon.jpg

Catch'Em UP !!

captbruce

Unfortunately, I was poling !! I was lucky to get the camera ready in time.

My customer started casting (Fly) and the lead fish saw the rod waving and started to veer.

Nowadays you must keep the false cast to an absolute minimum. (1 double-Haul and cast)

Along with Mono fly lines of even dying the line "Sky Blue"

Sometimes they see the fly line and "Blow" right off the flat.

They are becoming VERY wary.

This day, and I think it was April 15th, fish were abounding on the flats, and we saw maybe a dozen schools, that were migrating West, along the Gulfside NE of Key West, near Snipe Key. along with Permit and Bonefish.

We only hooked 4 Tarpon all day and 3 jumped off and we released 1, (70 pounder).

We could not get near the Permit or Bonefish.

But I told my customer at least we had a "Visual SLAM" !!

On the days you can see them good, They can see you REAL GOOD too!!

I'll head back to KW around Christmas and stay till July.

captbruce

Bruce, I am thinking about taking the family down to FL for a month next summer, renting a house via airbnb, renting my house out here in Colorado via airbnb, and working from there (I can work remote).

For a guy who has not spent much time in the salt, but has a flats boat, and wants to learn, where would you suggest we set up camp? Need to find a place that is close to the fish, and has plenty of stuff for my little ones and wife too.

If you are thinking at all, of the Keys, I wouldn't stop till I got to Key West. The rents are not that much higher and the fishing is still GREAT. Seriously... Way better than Islamorada.

Don't believe the hype.

IMO, if they say Islamorada is the "Fishing Capital of the world" then Key West should be called the "Center of the Fishing Universe" !!

Take it from Capt. Bruce... or better yet check the IGFA World Record Book !! They are been over 500 "World Records set in KW. More than any other place in the world.

Some days I wind up (with customers) only 100 yds. from the swimming beach and catch Tarpon, Permit, Cobia (Sharks too), and for the kids there are good sized Yellowtail, Jacks, Mackerel, Runners...

ALOT of "Rod bending" action.

PLUS, Key West has been in existence over 200 years, and the town has much more History and things to do, and see.

The rest of the Keys were only built as work camps for the Railroad (circa 1930's)

captbruce

Archived