Mangrove Snapper Questio

localangler

Down for our annual vacation in Big Pine.  However, this year we are down later than normal and the mangrove snapper are not cooperating. We've tried our usual bridge spots and only had one fish and the cuda got him.  Not looking for spots but do I need to give up on the bridges or keep grinding it out. The old standby pin fish have fallen short. 

So do I need to go deeper due to water temps, head back into the gulf and look for cuts in the mangroves or stay my course? Any pointers from the mbg trust would be appreciated. 

On a report note, the shark population seems to be doing fair along with the cudas too.  And the weather is great, we went to Sombrero Light to snorkel today. Aside from the boat ramp looking antics we observed it was a great trip. 

Just got back from the upper keys and can tell you where we ended up finding them. 30 feet of water offshore on a rocky bottom. We started much deeper and found nothing, yellowtail, mangrove, mutton, NOTHING! We decided to move into shallow rocky bottom, basically a patch reef in 12 feet and started to see some action, so we decided on a little deeper at 30 feet. We did 50 but the bite was not there. We ended up with quality fish, 18-20 inch fish, 2 mutton's 1/2" shy of legal and got rocked by even bigger fish. Chum them up but don't over feed.

5 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Just got back from the upper keys and can tell you where we ended up finding them. 30 feet of water offshore on a rocky bottom. We started much deeper and found nothing, yellowtail, mangrove, mutton, NOTHING! We decided to move into shallow rocky bottom, basically a patch reef in 12 feet and started to see some action, so we decided on a little deeper at 30 feet. We did 50 but the bite was not there. We ended up with quality fish, 18-20 inch fish, 2 mutton's 1/2" shy of legal and got rocked by even bigger fish. Chum them up but don't over feed.

My buddy is a professional tailer in Islamorada.......he said this year has been the worst in recent history.....he can't explain why....

dc