Battery maintenance protocol

interested in knowledgeable opinions on:

1.) is it better leave power to factory onboard charger on at all times...charger info implies that it will provide "maintenance charge". Boat is on lift not in water

2.). Boat is 23 HPS. Venting is limited to small louvered vent on console. Is this enough to handle heat from charging? I have always opened hatch when charging but that is not possible/practical if answer to #1 is yes.

This probably been discussed a lot but I still would like current info. Thanks

• 9 months later...

What type of batteries ?  AGM?  If so, I"d go yes, no sulfur fumes...if water based, I"d go no..  Too much fumes.

If you have a name brand charger, probably no need to be leaving it on constant charge, unless you are gone for more than 2-3 weeks at a time...normally if you follow the routine, plug when your return for 4-6 hours, you'll restore most of what you lost, if overnight, you are golden...then re-charge the night before...most good AGM's will hold for at least a month, 90% of the charge.

Only danger to leaving is what you identified - heat and potential fire..but, so long as you have good insurance..well?  That's what it's for....

DC

• 2 weeks later...

Like Dino said, if wet cell, don't leave on the charger, over time it will use up electrolyte solution and fume.  If AGM, you are probably fine, however, you don't really need to.  They hold their charge very well, I think even better than Dino's suggestion of 90%.  If it were my boat, I wouldn't.  If you have been gone a while, just charge when you get there before your outing.  Good luck.

I was told by the Minn Kota rep at boat show, that the main issue with charging batteries and extending the life of the charger and batteries is VENTILATION !   You must provide some air flow to cool down the charger. Also lead batteries let off fumes and should be allowed to ventilate during charging. Keep the center console door open during charging if that's where your charger is. Also, he said after every 4 th extended long charge ( after you have ran batteries down below 20%) check the water and add distilled water as needed * only to lead batteries.

Archived