Prop Help

Capt. Troy

Trying to help a buddy out. He just repowered from a 150 HPDI to the 200 SHO big block 6 cyl.

2004 2200 PF with T-top..

Dealer put on a 15 by 21 pitch 3 blade SWS Yamaha prop. I already told him no way he will swing that amount of pitch. He tried it and only got 5000 RPM

Anyone have similar set up.

I also told him to call Power Tech but the guy is hard to help sometimes. So, I figured I would do a little leg work for him.

My pick would be the OFX 18 or 19 4 blade.

• Like 1

All of my previous engines were Mercury. I like the way a coupld of mercury props run on my 2200TRS with t top. The tempest plus or the enertia will run great on his boat and provide lots of lift. with the 200 he may need the 19 pitch to get the RPM's up. The Bravo 1fs has been well recived by people running the Sho engines as well. But if you say your friend is hard to help I doubt he will want to run a mercury prop.. but you asked

With the T-Top and getting only 5000 rpm out of a 15 x 21p 3-blade, I would think an OFX4 15.25 x 19p 4-blade would not get close enough to the 6000 max rpm, if the slip numbers are what they should be.  If your Yamaha dealer could get an Ultima4 14.25 x 19p 4-blade, I think you could get closer to the correct top-end rpm.  But, maybe a 17 pitch Ultima4 would be even better.  Good news is the price is reasonable for that prop.  Bad news is they are back-ordered (shocking I know).  Good luck!

I have the 200 SHO and use an OFX4 17P, see 50 mph. I also have an OFX4 18P, which ran great when I tested it, saw 53-54 mph, but did not have the trolling motor on the bow. Amazing that adding just the weight of the trolling motor totally screws up the 18P performance. So the 18 is my back up, probably should sell or trade it for something different.

Good stuff here guys.

I had him put his old 4 blade back on from his previous set up. The prop has no marking but is 14.5 diameter and a 4 blade. I think it is a Solas from the pic. He is getting 48 MPH at 5800 RPM so he is close. Gonna have him send that prop to Prop gods to get it tuned up. It is an old prop and is worn. Think he has some slip.

Thanks for the input.

Troy,

Reading the Yamaha SHO web page is says max RPM's is 6K but produces 200 HP @ 5500 rpms. So the Solas prop you are running is in the right where it needs to be for max HP. If that was running light then that would be a good choice because once loaded it would settle down to 5500 max RPM's or so. Maybe find out what pitch that is and experiment with different models to get the correct hole shot and running attitude he wants. If he is sending it out then have him describe what the boat does and what he wants and ask the prop guy if he can make the SOLAS work for him.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/outboards/v-max-sho/v6-4-2l

Thanks all for the help.  The prop I am running is the PTZ4R16.  Seems to be working out good.  Boat cruises at 42 mph at 4500 rpm.  WOT is 5900 rpms, 50 mph. 

The Yamaha 200 SHO has really changed the feel of my boat. Like having new bait and having to get use to the handling.