Yamaha Gauge Restoration

Colorado Matt

Hello,

I have Yamaha Command Link gauges in my 2006 HPX-T.  The lenses have scratched and the digital display has faded and become hard to read.  New replacements are ridiculously expensive, IMO.

I found a company in Florida called GaugeSavers.com.  They specialize in restoring the exact gauges I have, among others, and the price is very reasonable at $75 each.  

I was just wondering if any of you have used this company, and what your experience was like.  

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I used them about 2 or 3 years ago and had a good experience.  I had sanded and polished out my lenses, but the internal LCD was shot and they brought it back to life.  My only minor issue is they set the polarizer 90 degrees from the OEM so when wearing my sunglasses I have to tilt my head a bit to get a bright read. Probably just an oversight that they get right now.  For me it's a very minor inconvenience for the cost savings relative to a new gauge. There is a website out there that shows how to redo them, but by the time you buy all the materials and spend a bunch of time "figuring it out" I think it's money well spent to have these guys do it better than I can.

If only your lens is messed up it easy to restore those - tape the gauge edge and area for protection, start with 600 grit and wet sand to remove the heavy oxidation and scratches using lots of overlapping circles. Then take your time repeating the sanding with finer grits - 800, 1000, 1200. Lastly, hit it with some compound, then polish.  

But if the LCD is faded then I think the GaugeSavers are the way to go.

Good luck!

Bud

Hey Bud,

Thanks so much for the response.  Yeah, I found an online How-to on gauge restoration.  If I had several to do, I would likely go that route.  But it doesn't make sense for only 2 gauges.  My gauges suffer from both scratched/oxidized lenses and faded LCDs, so I think GaugeSavers is the way to go.  

I'm curious, was the memory information (like engine hours) retained on your gauges after the restore?  

Thanks,