Freshwater fishing?

mulligan

Being born and raised 5 minutes from saltwater I never really payed much attention to freshwater fishing.  I am now a few more miles inland and have a small lake/pond behind the house.  When we first moved in i was catching small bass and bowfin, ya I know bowfin are "junk" fish but the bend the rod and are fun.  I thought I was getting things dialed in as it was a regular bite. Then it seemed like all of a sudden things stopped.  Now I'm not out there for hours on end, I just toss the line while enjoying a cold beverage late in the afternoon.

Do the fish just shut down in the summer heat? Gators get them all from their spring mating? Me just getting lucky before?

I've had two homes with small fishing ponds.  Yes, they'll slow down in the heat.  Also, since there are only so many fish in there, they will get bait-shy.   I'd have to mix it up and throw odd-ball stuff they'd never seen before.  Even just a gaudy color did the trick sometimes.  A hot pink buzzbait opened my eyes.  I also surprised myself with some big fish by slow fishing a fly rod with a grub or nymph style.  Downsizing helped.

There could be worse things than being stuck with just a cold beverage !

On 6/14/2019 at 6:24 AM, mulligan said:

Being born and raised 5 minutes from saltwater I never really payed much attention to freshwater fishing.  I am now a few more miles inland and have a small lake/pond behind the house.  When we first moved in i was catching small bass and bowfin, ya I know bowfin are "junk" fish but the bend the rod and are fun.  I thought I was getting things dialed in as it was a regular bite. Then it seemed like all of a sudden things stopped.  Now I'm not out there for hours on end, I just toss the line while enjoying a cold beverage late in the afternoon.

Do the fish just shut down in the summer heat? Gators get them all from their spring mating? Me just getting lucky before?

How many times do you think you can fool the same fish?😊

Welcome to pond fishing. Try some goldfish for bait but don't get caught.

Bowfin are mudfish and don't lip them. They bite and are dumb but may become your best friends if you handle them right.

I suggest you contact pondfisher on here. He never fishes they same pond more than once a year.

Thanks guy, I don't feel so bad now.

21 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

Are you worm fishing?  or throwing plugs on top? 

Worms have been OK but the best bait so far has been a saltwater ZMan shad.  I have tried topwater but the gators seem to like those more than the fish.  I think it is nice having anything chase a topwater down from across the pond but the girlfriend does not find as much joy as I do.