2001 Hewes Redfisher 16 with 2001 Yamaha F100

JEFFACK1

I just purchased this boat knowing that it was going to take a little time to get the engine squared away with it being carbureted, but I just about have it wrapped up, fuel tank and filters all cleaned up and ready to go.

So far I have been getting a top end of around 32 mph (GPS).  Hopefully this will get better on the next run with fresh non-ethanol gas and clean carbs.

The one thing that has been troubling is the boat is very slow and sometimes will not plane off without moving someone to the front.  Running conditions - two people in the boat, only one battery in the back and close to full fuel.  Occupants 175 and 140 lbs.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or if this is maybe just a prop issue?  I don't know what prop is on it, but I will take a look at it tonight.  It is 3 bladed.

Lastly, if I can't sort out the F100 then will probably consider re powering with Yamaha 115 SHO.  Any thoughts on that engine on this boat?  Rear end squat I can live with as motors are pretty close in weight from what I read and I realize I will need the trim tabs.

Thanks for any input!!

Jeff

You do not mention RPM on you engine but I would think you are not propped very well. If the engine and fuel system are in good condition you could have the wrong prop. Does the prop appear to be in good condition or chewed up? Your hub could be slipping but would have probably turned completely loose by now if that were the case. Throwing a dart at a board here I bet you have a 19 pitch prop and need a 17 .. but obviously just a guess 

HoneyB - yeah the tach screen is just about shot so I am guessing on the RPM since it is so hard to read until I get the tach replaced.  I believe it is around 5,600 or so.  I will update later with the info off the prop.  It isn't bent up or  mangled though.

Thanks lurem!  I just got this information on the prop.  It is a:

Power Tech Propeller

Top Number: 318-688-1970

Bottom Number: YM928CD3R17P         9343641

I am assuming this is a 17 pitch prop and it is in very good condition - no nicks or scrapes.

I am hoping I have the carbs and fuel system sorted out now and will get a good test run and report back with RPM's.

Thanks so much for the help!!

Jeff

lurem - thanks for putting me in touch with pondfisher.  Great guy.

HoneyB - Finally got the 100 happy and you are spot on!  Boat planes easily and was running over 40 mph on the GPS with four people in it.

Here is what it took:  Took the carbs off - disassembled cleaned/soaked them overnight.  Reinstalled/synced them and river tested without much improvement, but noticed a leaking fuel line and of course the carbs had to come off to fix that.  Once that was taken care of back to the river without any real improvement.  Went home and emptied the fuel filter into a mason jar and found the dreaded ethanol mixed water at the bottom (I know , I know - that should have been the first thing I did).  Pumped the fuel tank completely out, replaced both fuel filters (under the cowling and the big one on the boat side of the engine) and drained the carb bowls.  Learned that there are different filter sizes (10 micron, 20 micron, etc...) so I went with 10 micron Yamaha filter as opposed to the less expensive 20 micron filter.  Put new NON-ETHANOL in, synced the carbs and backed to the river and its running like a champ.  Completely different boat!!!

Thanks again to all for the help!

Jeff