Throttle cable or shift cable?

Scout6

Has anyone replaced their throttle or shifting cables before? I have a 03’ 22v that won’t go into gear. From the research I’ve done it could be one of these cables. Here’s the symptoms: When I push the throttle, I almost have to be pressed completely wide open before it engages. And it engages wide open (not fun). It’s smooth coming back from full to neutral. It won’t go in reverse at all. If anyone has a clue can you tell me where to start. I’m pretty handy so from what I’ve seen I can change the cables on my own. I just need to know if that’s the issue. Any help would be awesome. I can provide pics or video if could help. 

Did it start giving you trouble after you removed and installed your lower unit? If the splined shift shaft on the lower unit is not lined up just right when you install the lower unit it will bind.

You can disconnect the cables at the motor and actuate the remote control to see if the cables are binding. Or shift the motor by  moving the linkage where the cable was connected to determine if the shift linkage is binding. If the linkage is binding drop your lower unit. It stops binding when the lower unit is is removed it is likely that your shift shaft was not lined up. Mine would bind when I tightened the lower unit bolts the last 1/8 of an inch. Took a few tries to get the shaft line up but when it does the lower slides into place and shifting was effortless.

Took me six months, new cables, and a remote control to figure that one out. 

I’ve never dropped the lower unit, so I hope the shaft isn’t out of alignment. What seems to be binding is the white guide the rolls in the black guide channel when you give it throttle. Sorry I don’t know the  nomenclature. It seems to sick and when there’s enough pressure it pops in the channel. I will add pics in a couple hours. 

• 3 months later...

I had a similar problem....My throttle cable would bind to the point where you could not change the speed one way or another. The problem was when I raised the my jack plate to it’s highest position when running in shallow water the cable would bind. It appears that the higher the engine the more of a sharp angle for the wiring to the engine, pitching all the cables right where it entered the engine housing.