SS Prop Pitch Advice - 1996 20' Hewes LT

jdsteeves

I repowered my 1997 with a Yamaha 150 and just used the prop that came with the boat. I don't know the pitch,but it is giving me about the same performance as my 2 stroke 150 Yamaha ,so I'm happy. BTW I use mine in Eastern LIS with similar  currents. Are you unhappy with what the engine came with?   I have a SS prop.  My boat is wet slipped,so it's hard to check out the prop specs.

Need more info

What setup did you previously have - motor/prop/gear ratio/max rpm - and did you like the way it ran?

Sounds like a 4 blade would be the way to go (I like the Powertech OFX series on big flats boats like yours. guessing around a 16p give or take - definitely under pitch it since that's a big boat and small motor )

The motor that came with the boat was a 1998 Merc Optimax 150hp.  I'm not sure about the prop specs because I can seem to find any markings.  There's a prop lock on it too without a key.  Therfore, I can't take it off.  We tried a Suzuki 3X16X17R Stainless 3 bladed prop first.  It had some noise or cavitation after it was put in gear but once we brought up the rpm's the boat got right up on plane and performed well.  The second prop we tried was a Suzuki 3X16X18.5R.  No noise or cavitation at idle/in gear.....got up on plane quick but noticed that the bow wanted to dive down at 5K rpm.  Even with trim tabs "bow up" and trimming the motor.... the bow wanted to ride down at high speed.  Not sure what this all means and what pitch I should try next.  Any advice would be appreciated.