2400 TRS Deck Drain Issue

fsuhunter

Skip/Guys, I have a 2400 TRS and my self bailing deck drains both port and starboard continue to clog. I had them taken apart and put back together and my drain problem continues. I fished Saturday, boat was clean and I blew out drain lines both sides with hose, didn't throw a cast net and had little, if any, grass in the boat. It rained Saturday night and both deck drains are clogged? I pulled the boat out and towed it from the Keys back to Miami, no water drained out. I put the hose to the drains and cleared whatever obstruction was in there but saw no debris blow out of either  port or starboard side deck drain.

I understand there is a one way flapper valve in line-is this the problem????  Is there any other solution/correction for this ongoing problem?   Correction I apologize I see the inline flapper valve is this the root of this deck drainage issue??   I am happy to replace both sides but they are a mo fo to get out and in.    Skip thank you for your suggestions.

Edited by fsuhunter
correction I am sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_9814.jpg.733f9c47ec17849a2a271eb9c3c2a3e1.jpgSkip-these are before photos of my deck drain lines with the inline check valve in place. I replaced the entire line, removed the stock check valve and replaced it with a groco bronze check valve. So far, all appears to be working correctly, I only fished it one day. Skip, any thoughts or comments before I move on? Thank you and look forward to seeing you soon.

Rick

IMG_9862.jpg

IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9860.jpg

IMG_9814.jpg

IMG_9813.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Any feed back on how well these check valves work.I have similar issues with my 2015 2400 trs water coming in with multiple people in the back or on one side off the boat and slow to drain.Wanting to know if these check valves work better also do you have a part number or size that was installed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KNOTNOW said:

Any feed back on how well these check valves work.I have similar issues with my 2015 2400 trs water coming in with multiple people in the back or on one side off the boat and slow to drain.Wanting to know if these check valves work better also do you have a part number or size that was installed.

I have the same issue on my 2016 2200TRS. If the back gets too weighted down, water comes up through the drain. This is especially noticeable when everyone goes to one side or the other - it happens on both sides. Not sure if this is a simple limitation of the design but it is a little annoying. I don’t typically run with that much weight so it hasn’t caused any real issues for me but would be nice if there were an easy fix so I can stop yelling at people to move around the boat to disperse the weight more evenly. 

Having the same problem with my port side rear hatch deck drain. I have tried air and it will blow the water out. If I use water, it bubbles up on the starboard deck hatch drain and vice versa. I've tried a snake but did not want to get too aggressive and create a tear in the piping. I cannot see the piping to determine what is going on. How should I be looking for the piping? That is should I be able to see it from the rear inspection hatch or from under the port rear seat? This is on a 2500 hybrid. Thanks.

If I understand what your saying it sounds like the port lid drains out the stbd side transom thru-hull fitting? Mine are port-to-port / stbd-to-stbd.

Unfortunately I don’t think you can get to the drain hose through any of the factory access hatches, I cant anyway. Fortunately for me it was my stbd. hatch lid drain. Since my stbd hatch is only used for dry storage I ended up cutting my own access hatch in the rear wall of the liner so I could access the thru-hull drain fitting on the transom and then installing a Beckson type hatch over the hole I made. 

• 1 month later...

I apologize for not responding sooner due to family loss and travel, I have been a little overwhelmed. The check valves that I installed were a great idea however, they need a little more pressure to release and water did not drain out of the deck as anticipated. I have 2 new types of check valves that I will be installing this week and will report on results. I will find a great solution to this problem and will keep you advised. 

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the untimely reply per my above post and photos the pressure valve was good in theory however a failure.  It wouldn't really open unless under pressure from a hose or when on plane.  When I removed them as you can see a lot of my broken deck brush bristles got caught up in the pressure check valve.  My boat is a 24TRS self bailing drains are on port and starboard sides.  I replaced all plumbing from the deck drain to the sea cock with a large brass check valve with a brass flapper inside connected to an extension pipe moving the valve forward and away from the seacock handle.  As you can see the valve can be opened and serviced from the top.  I did a lot of testing with this including full fuel/main livewell/400#ice/3people in rough weather, with cast nets and weed and on and on -all worked excellent!!  This is just what I found worked for me, please note some photos taken during installation/before completed all hose connections have double hose clamps.  I hope this helps

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3306(2).jpg

IMG_3307(1).jpg

IMG_3308(1).jpg

IMG_3307(1).jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

• 3 years later...