Fuel Sending Unit - Who has replaced?

Paid Up

My question for someone about a fuel sending unit in all the boats I have owned I have never had one go bad.  Mine gauge all of a sudden blinks empty all the time even with a full tank.  I check the connections today and all look good.  A buddy told me it is probably bad so I am planning on replacing.  Question - do they just go bad? One day it worked fine and then next day it  just blinks empty?

Check the connections for corrosion before you replace anything.   If you have an ohmmeter, you can test the resistance of the sending unit directly.  There's lots of threads on the web and some helpful YouTube videos as well.

As always, when working around your fuel tank, be extra careful to avoid sparks or shorting out power to ground!  It's a great opportunity to leave your battery powered tools in the box.  :)

Fuel sending units are very sensitive to corrosion and loose connections. First thing I'd would do is (with batteries off) remove the positive wire and clean it, then remove the ground wire and clean. Replace and see if it makes a difference. Also remove and clean the connections on the back of the gauge.