chokoloskee tournament?

Brent B

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the rough draft of the inaugural CFFA particulars...

Fee-

$100/team (MBC forum members only)

Entry fee must be paid at the captains meeting.

Number of Anglers-

4 anglers max per boat.

Captain's meeting location-

Oyster House, Everglades City, FL

Friday, Oct 16, 2015 @ 6pm.

All teams will need to pay for their own beverages & food.

FUNament Location-

Everglades National Park. Teams must depart from any ramp in Chokoloskee or Everglades City.

Fishing Day & Hours-

Saturday, Oct 17, 2015. Lines In @ 6:30AM. There will be no lines out time. All Anglers must meet at Outdoor Resorts ramp by 5:30pm.

Teams that have not turned in scorecards by 5:30PM, will be disqualified.

Scorecards-

Must show species, size & time of each entered fish caught.

Species-

Tarpon, Snook, Redfish and Trout.

Pictures-

Must be taken on a digital camera with its own display or a smart phone. Devices must have clear screens to see pics!

Payout-

50%: 1st place

30%: 2nd place

20%: 3rd place

Not sure but if the Park Service hears of this now that it is becoming a money oriented tournament you may need to get a special use permit.

Just sayin.

If the park tries to come in and make us get a permit, then we will drop the entry fee and just have fun i guess. Im thinking about maybe lowering the entry fee to begin with. Any body agree or disagree? I mainly started this just to meet new people who like to fish the area and have fun.

Brent I was in at first but ran across two problems one was I thought as you originally started the post(and I responded) it was for fun and to meet fellow anglers. The costs we incur to fish are steep enough let alone another 100.00. The second was it just conflicts with another event (no fault of yours). I like the idea and I was thinking of doing the same thing in the future. Thanks for your efforts in organizing this event. I hope everyone is safe and enjoys themselves.

I'll participate no matter what, Brent. For a fee, or not.

When thinking about how little $100 can buy these days, it really surprises me that anyone thinks $100 is steep for a friendly competition (aka Funament) such as this.

I'll probably spend well over $100 in measuring devices alone + the proposed entry fee, if any. No complaints here!

No I hear ya man. $100 for a tournament is cheap. You don't have to go spend money on measuring devices. That is not at all necessary. We can come up with some kinda cheap solution.

How about these?

http://www.321fish.com/pages/store

Just make it that everybody pays an additional $9 dollars or just make it that everyone has to go to the site and buy one. They must have it at the captains dinner or they don't compete? Easy. Take the pressure off of me and you. There is under 10 teams so far. so I don't see problem. Or buy 1 and photo copy it and laminate them?

Examples of activities that would require a written authorization from the park in the form of a special park use permit apply to individuals and groups depending on the impact of the event on the resource and staff. These might include (but are not limited to) weddings, first-amendment demonstration activities, a bike race, fishing tournament, group activities (groups of 20 or more participants).

I doubt it would draw any attention unless someone observes the Captains meeting or you guys together as a group.

As for the 100 bucks I wouldn't be inclined to put up that kind of money to go fish a place that I know nothing about. It's not much for a tournament but a lot of guys who have to travel a good distance and want to get to learn the area might be turned off by it. I would go for the fun of it if it wasn't a busy time of year for me but wouldn't want to compete on a tournament level against regulars to the area.

Dang hard to get someone to show you around when your fishing against them. :confused:

Anyhow, hope those that make it have fun. :)

Well now that you've shed light on the possibility of needing a park permit on a public forum versus sending Brent or I a private message, there will certainly be people looking for a reason to rain on the parade. That's just the way life goes. I'm sure Brent will look into it.

I still think $100 is a drop in the bucket. Many of us waste that much money on a dinner with a few adult beverages. I've paid hundreds of dollars to fish areas that I know nothing about against local teams. It's all for the fun of it! If $100 is too steep for some people then they don't have to participate. To each their own.

And just an FYI....I won't even be an angler during the event. I'm just the boat driver. A 12 year old boy and 15 year old girl will be my anglers. Scary huh? :)

Well now that you've shed light on the possibility of needing a park permit on a public forum versus sending Brent or I a private message, there will certainly be people looking for a reason to rain on the parade. That's just the way life goes. I'm sure Brent will look into it.

I still think $100 is a drop in the bucket. Many of us waste that much money on a dinner with a few adult beverages. I've paid hundreds of dollars to fish areas that I know nothing about against local teams. It's all for the fun of it! If $100 is too steep for some people then they don't have to participate. To each their own.

And just an FYI....I won't even be an angler during the event. I'm just the boat driver. A 12 year old boy and 15 year old girl will be my anglers. Scary huh? :)

WHAT :confused:

You guys posted and started this thing on a Public forum. If the light is to bright you may want to see who turned it on.

I don't need to send anyone a PM concerning the use of a Public park after the fact, it has been advertised on a public forum.

The content/rules/ money written for the event make it a big difference between a meet and greet funament and a tournament. If this thing is so straight up why would you not want the world to hear about it? :confused:

WOW, certainly count me out.

come on guys. really? anyway yes it is posted on a public forum. If the park service does anything about it then we will see what happens. Not that big of a deal. We are not fishing for $50,000 here. I do appreciate your interest in the tournament Capt.Troy. Please follow the forum and maybe see what happens. For all we know I may just make the tournament free of charge or maybe a very small fee to cover the cost of a measuring device for everyone to have or something of that nature.

I didn't know you were "in", Troy. I sincerely apologize if I misread your posts on this thread. It appeared to me as if you were stirring the pot. Everyone reads things differently and there's certainly nothing to not be straight up about.

One of the NPS staff should be getting back to me soon in regards to if a permit is required for this funament and I will advise Brent.

Well as long as everything goes smoothly. I would like to make this maybe a quarterly competition. Maybe change the species around a little for the different seasons. Maybe throw some sheepshead or mackerel in for the wintertime. I will keep posting on this forum and keep everyone updated.

I didn't know you were "in", Troy. I sincerely apologize if I misread your posts on this thread. It appeared to me as if you were stirring the pot. Everyone reads things differently and there's certainly nothing to not be straight up about.

One of the NPS staff should be getting back to me soon in regards to if a permit is required for this funament and I will advise Brent.

Not at all trying to stir anything. I had some interest but the dates conflict with the PCF event up here.

I just commented on the format as some other members had asked some questions through PM and conversation. Some even expressed the same on comments here.

We have had some get together's around here and were basically meet and greets with some fishing mixed in.

My interest would be able to fish with some guys that know the area 'show us around". It's a bit of an under taking to make a 7 hr trailer round trip, put up an extra 100 bucks and pretty much be on your own "lost" come fishing time.

I guess I was thinking in terms of my experience at the OT. Bubba was gracious enough to let me follow him to the ends of the earth through the slalom course and 100 plus mile round trip. That, like my experience with a few trips out of EGC is that with limited time and some guidance you really don't have enough time to learn much about a new area.

But hey, it's your guys gig and I hope you all have good weather and good fishing. :)

If you ever wanna come down and fish one weekend Capt Troy, i will be more than happy to show you around and show you some good spots. I have family in St. Pete and i bring my boat up there all the time and fish. I would love to learn the area up there as well.

Archived