Any suggestions for best sun hat that won’t blow off

FROZEN

All,

My head, face, and ears got fried last weekend on the boat. I was wearing a baseball hat, turned around when on a fast run. I know they don’t do a thing for ear burn, but I’ve tried wide brim type hats and can’t keep them on. With a chin strap, they still catch wind and become dislodged. The ones I have are cheap or free, and an internet search has thousands to choose from. My wife says slow down but I’m impatient. AND I have a lower windscreen.

Anyone have a tried and true favorite? Don’t care about cost if it works.

We wear buffs with ball caps. put the ball cap on and pull the buff over it. Protects your whole face. Mine stays on @ 50 mph but I do have little console to break some wind. I have never found a wide brim hat that makes ant sense while running unless you do not want to see where your going......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROZEN said:

My head, face, and ears got fried last weekend on the boat.

I wear breath like a fish shirts that have a large buff included....don't know if they still make them....but, I full my entire face with water baby spa 50...as soon as I am up in the morning and leaving....when I get to the dock, I touch up my nose and ears.....during the day I hit my face again....

No hat is going to protect you on the water...

dc

Mike, I have used same tru spec boonie for almost 10 years. It’s desert camo and almost white now from bleached out from sun Ive used so much. I also recently bought a dark blue one for work but the new ones  have the “MOLE” webbing which I’m not a big fan of. No reason other than kinda tac-cool to me. Still a great hat. 

Great thing about it is the brim is floppy enough it folds up when you run the boat so you don’t have to take it off.  For $15 on amazon worth every penny and then some. Buy the next size up like it says on tag, supposed to help with the airflow I think

73D5D486-01EC-4624-BDD6-BDD8FD6F8BDC.png

96C023D1-23A3-4381-AA52-4771C298AC6E.jpeg

Thanks all for the suggestions! I have cataract surgery tomorrow, so in about a week or two I’m going to REI to check out expensive hats, then to WM to compare. I’m also going to get a hoodie and try that.  I’ll let you all know what’s on the market if anything different is available.

M

Wow.  Cannot believe nobody has mentioned SHELTA.  I've rocked Boonies for 20 years now and have every kind you can imagine.  SHELTA is by far the best Boonie I've ever worn and I'm talking about a closet full of Tilley, OR, Columbia, The Game, etc.  The great thing about Shelta is it has structured bill just in the front.  So you have a baseball cap bill that will not flop or blow up while doing 70 in glitter boats (just found that out last week first hand!!!).  Also, you can submerse the hat and it still won't flop.  I work outside every day and need a sun hat.  Have been using straw hats because they are structured, have airflow  and won't wilt when soaked with sweat but you can't wear them on a boat.  These Shelta hats are meet the same needs but can be folded, put in pocket, run WOT on a boat and you are good to go with any water sport.  They have a draw string to tighten plus it has the chin strap string that can be tightened under the chin or clipped to a shirt.  

Also has a nice neck shield that is not against your skin but protects from UV.  They have face gaitors as well.

I'm telling you guys, this is the only hat for what I do.  Pricey but no more than a Tilley.  Check them out.  If you love boonies/sun hats, they have different styles.  Some with wide brims all the way around and some with smaller brims on the sides and rear.  I have three different models.  Love them all.  https://www.sheltahats.com/collections/sun-hats

This is the widest  brim version. https://www.sheltahats.com/collections/sun-hats/products/the-firebird-v2

Traditional Boonie Style. Medium brim.  https://www.sheltahats.com/collections/sun-hats/products/the-seahawk-performance-sun-hat

Edited by rubble
correction
  • Like 2

Very cool hats and dry easy. The designer was an active sportsman. He thought if everything. There are some hats that have ventilation. I’m a big guy. Heavy sweater. Hate the heat. I wear the lighter colors to help prevent additional radiant heat from a dark surface. 

I’m a Tilley guy from way back. I’ve always felt like they were hot. Even the vented versions. I still like them and even wear the old original Tilleys during winter and rainy days. Hot days and on the boat, I go Shelta. Seriously, just tighten the draw string around the headband and also the under the chin cord and that hat is going Nowhere plus it will not flap around at speed. I think they are a winner. 

• Like 1

I will throw in a hat I just got at Sierra trading post made by "Frog pond" good stiff brim,  lots of coverage,especially in the back and has a tightening head band and a chin strap.  It is made of light ,but sturdy material.  I used for the first time yesterday and am happy.  I have about 10 other wide brim hats and I'm always looking for the best option.  I will use it in FL  this winter.  Costs 20 bucks,which half the retail because of Sierra trading deals.  Take a look. 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:34 PM, geeviam said:

I bought this one, actually two (one for yard work and one for boating) and happy with them:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F2F4QB6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Does the front brim flop around in the wind? I've had every wide brim sun hat made. I  liked some of them, but the front brims flop up and down in a breeze. I don't wear them when driving the boat. So far looks like the Shelta is the winner with regard to an anti-flop brim.

1 hour ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Does the front brim flop around in the wind? I've had every wide brim sun hat made. I  liked some of them, but the front brims flop up and down in a breeze. I don't wear them when driving the boat. So far looks like the Shelta is the winner with regard to an anti-flop brim.

The brim has some stiffness to it and somewhat keeps the shape you bend it at - even in a breeze.  However, I don't wear it when driving the boat - I put it on when I reach the destination.  I wear a ball cap with Buff gaiter over top of it when running, and it stays put.  Vroom vroom... :D

1 hour ago, geeviam said:

I wear a ball cap with Buff gaiter over top of it when running, and it stays put.  Vroom vroom... :D

The Shelta wears just like a ball cap. Maybe better. I’ve had ball caps blow off with a gust while under way or going Vroom. Last week was in a Ranger with Yami 250 and running near 70( Which I hate... I’m happy at 45mph). I had the brim drawstring tiggt and the under the chin string tightened up. Brim stayed in place (no flop) and hat didnt budge. Was surprised. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 3:54 PM, rubble said:

Wow.  Cannot believe nobody has mentioned SHELTA.  I've rocked Boonies for 20 years now and have every kind you can imagine.  SHELTA is by far the best Boonie I've ever worn and I'm talking about a closet full of Tilley, OR, Columbia, The Game, etc.  The great thing about Shelta is it has structured bill just in the front.  So you have a baseball cap bill that will not flop or blow up while doing 70 in glitter boats (just found that out last week first hand!!!).  Also, you can submerse the hat and it still won't flop.  I work outside every day and need a sun hat.  Have been using straw hats because they are structured, have airflow  and won't wilt when soaked with sweat but you can't wear them on a boat.  These Shelta hats are meet the same needs but can be folded, put in pocket, run WOT on a boat and you are good to go with any water sport.  They have a draw string to tighten plus it has the chin strap string that can be tightened under the chin or clipped to a shirt.  

Also has a nice neck shield that is not against your skin but protects from UV.  They have face gaitors as well.

I'm telling you guys, this is the only hat for what I do.  Pricey but no more than a Tilley.  Check them out.  If you love boonies/sun hats, they have different styles.  Some with wide brims all the way around and some with smaller brims on the sides and rear.  I have three different models.  Love them all.  https://www.sheltahats.com/collections/sun-hats

This is the widest  brim version. https://www.sheltahats.com/collections/sun-hats/products/the-firebird-v2

Traditional Boonie Style. Medium brim.  https://www.sheltahats.com/collections/sun-hats/products/the-seahawk-performance-sun-hat

I read this thread a few weeks back because I too was looking for a hat I could wear while running in the boat.  My current (Bass Pro Shops Tilley copy cat) hat had the floppy brim and while at speed would flop up, but mostly down, into my eyes resulting in taking it off while running.  I then had to stow it in a hatch and inevitably would not take the time to put it back on once at my fishing destination.  I also run and gun frequently making taking it off and putting it on at each stop a pain, and therefore stopped using it and continuing to get burned.  I saw the recommendation for SHELTA and decided to check them out.  Liked what I saw, except maybe the price, and decided to give them a try.  I ordered a hat this past Monday and had it at my door on Thursday.

Took it out fishing on the boat yesterday and it worked as advertised.  Ran mid 50's and it never moved or flopped.  It was also lightweight and cool resulting in me forgetting I had it on.  This weekend in South Florida we had heat advisories with heat indexes near 108 so it was tested in extreme conditions.  I will have to see how it holds up, washes and if it develops any type of odor issues but so far I am very happy.  

I purchased the Firebird V2 version which is their widest brim hat.  With over head or a high sun angle it puts my entire face and neck in the shade.  The very lowest portion of my back neck may be exposed from time to time if looking downward or with a  lower sun angle.  The back pull strap snugs the hat for a tighter fit if desired and the chin strap was comfortable when used.  They make a neck shield as mentioned above that I thought about ordering but since I got the wide brim version I decided to see how it worked first.  If you order a narrower brim it would probably be worth adding to the system as it would likely be cooler than wearing a neck gaiter as it lets air circulate better.     

👍

I make my living in the sun and consider hats just another tool that I have to purchase. Uniform expense!  Blonde hair blue eyes light skin. Gotta have protection. Have now purchased 3 plus the neck flap. I like the flap because it isnt against skin like buffs. Can get a little breeze in there. I sweat about as bad as anyone or worse. I hand wash in the sink with mild dish soap. Dry on a boot dryer. Everything is good so far.