Ditch Bag

johnd

Why Type I ? Arent those the most basic vests? Would the IIs or IIIs offer more protection or comvort over longer periods and/or in rougher seas?

Here ya go for basics

http://takemefishing.org/boating/boat-responsibly/boat-safely/life-jackets-and-pfds/?gclid=CNTR3eTakMcCFYmPHwodXnIMBw

The type 1 is what my USCG requirement is for all of my vessels in all waters of the US. Inland and offshore. That includes my 21 MA.

The offshore boat requires lights on every PFD and they are all cl*** 1 with reflective tape and I also have a whistle on them.

FOR JUST ONE MORE TIME THEY ALSO HAVE MY BOATS FLORIDA REGISTRATION ON THEM. :)

The registration on all "debris" is a great idea Capt T. Two great lessons i've learned from your posts in this thread. Thanks! Awesome thread. Actually, this has been discussed before but not easy to find. This should be considered one ot the "sticky" threads that stays available.

Correction... Favorite Topics!!!

Mods???

A type I vest will float an unconscious person face up. If you're in the water for an extended amount of time, this may help fatigue.

This is what applies to every charter boat being a technical polling skiff or a sport fish. The USCG must have some reasoning behind this CFR.

This does not apply to the recreational rules as they are different and some local and state municipalities have other requirements.

Applies to:

All UPVs.

Personal Flotation Devices (P

FD), i.e., Life Preservers

All UPVs must have at least one CG approved

TYPE I PFD

of a suitable size for each

person embarked.

46 CFR 25-25©.

Kapok and fibrous gl*** life preservers w

ithout plastic covered pad inserts are

unacceptable.

Commercial hybrid PFDs may be su

bstituted for life preservers if:

♦

It is worn when the UPV is underway and the intended wearer is not within an

enclosed space;

♦

It is used in accordance with the marked

conditions on the PFD and in the owner's

manual; and

♦

Labeled for use aboard

commercial vessels.

46 CFR 25.25(f), 45 CFR 160.077.

Each required life preserver

intended to be worn must

have approved Type I retro-

reflective material (often flexible ta

pe with an adhesive backing) with

at least 200 sq. cm

(31 sq. in.) of material on the front,

at least 200 sq. cm

. on the back, and, if reversible,

at

least 200 sq. cm

. on each reversible side. The material attached on each side must be

divided equally between the upper quadrants of

the side and as close as possible to the

shoulder area of the PFD.

46 CFR 25.25-15

Note:

Additional Type II or Type III PFDs

may be carried aboard a UPV,

however, they must be stowed separately and they may not be used to substitute

any Type I PFDs

that must be kept onboard (i.e

. one Type I for each person

In case you guys haven't noticed I'm a little ramped up over recent events. Please indulge me the opportunity to rant a little. :blush:

Okay. So we are floating/bobbing in the water with our Type 1 on. We have our Epirb activated and we see signs of other craft in the water or the air. What is the best thing you can have to draw attention? I need to make some purchases so list items/brands you recommend.

Examples:

Strobe: ACR C-strobe with C-clip

Mirror: ACR Hot Shot Signal Mirror

Flares: ???

Locators: ???

Smoke: ???

etc…

All of those will work, it just depends on the situation (day/night). Smoke/signal mirror are good for day and strobes/flares are good for night. A signal mirror is an easy thing to tie on a life jacket and will blind someone in a boat (or a helicopter in my case) from a long way.

You covered it with the above.

If it's dark the strobe for sure.

Daytime the streamers mirrors and so on. I really like smoke. Lots of different colors on the water all the time. Not often do you see smoke on the water offshore. If you do, something needs attention.

If your modern day beacon is working they are probably going to be really close to ya to start with. The 121 MHZ is pinging their RDF and GPS is pretty darn accurate these days.

These questions are probably best answered by the guys like Nag and CG Ryan. It's what they do. My reply is to what makes me feel good. The eye and training from spotters on C 130 aircraft is an art in itself. The pattern, looking wing tip to the sea is not just riding around and staring at the ocean.

Like I have eluded to. If I ever have to float again it will look like a ship wreck with smoke, mirrors, debris, fire and all sorts of stuff.

EDIT CG Ryan beat me to it. :thumbup:

I believe there is a requirement for some type of throw cushion/device for commercial or personal. Typically you see a throw/boat cushion or ring or horseshoe buoy? Which do you salt guys prefer?

What about a a Life Line/Throwable Rescue Bag? I have both the cushion and Bag on my boat. Didn't know of both were required or just the cushion. Don't think that a Bag can take place of the cushion?

Hey guys I just wanted to let everyone know that ACR is currently doing a promotion for a free ditch bag (2272) which is a 112.00 value if you purchase a epirb. I know a vendor selling the 2844 cl*** II epirb for 395 shipped and you get the free ditch bag. Thats a really good deal and awesome piece of mind. This is the same setup I use. If you are interested shoot me a pm and ill give you the info.

I believe there is a requirement for some type of throw cushion/device for commercial or personal. Typically you see a throw/boat cushion or ring or horseshoe buoy? Which do you salt guys prefer?

What about a a Life Line/Throwable Rescue Bag? I have both the cushion and Bag on my boat. Didn't know of both were required or just the cushion. Don't think that a Bag can take place of the cushion?

A Cushion is the preferred for the recreational side, it serves many purposes. ;)

I throw and must have a life ring with an attached rope. I have the round one with again my registration numbers written on it.

It's solid and throw-able.

If I'm disabled power wise the attached rope may make a difference to pull someone back in.

Mixed on this one. If the drift is taking you away from your PIW best to not tether and drag their flotation device away from them.

Floating rope attached to what ever is better than nothing. You fall out of a boat on the hook with current, best to deploy a flotation device that will leave as fast as your PIW.

NOW, for the get all of dumb azz moves.

I was filling a chum bag off the stern of my boat when I accidentally un hitched the bag from the cleat on the edge of the reef with a screaming current. The boat is anchored and I went in right on top of the bag for a quick retrieve.

No getting back to the boat and away I went.

I could not make it back. G***ed myself in the effort still holding the chum bag and headed east.

By the time they cranked up, retrieved the 400 feet of anchor line and spun around to get me I was just a dot on the horizon..

I really don't even have to make this stuff up to tell you guys how fast it can happen.

My crew didn't throw anything to me, they were too concerned about getting the hook up and coming to get me "or the chum bag". I sure wish they would have thrown me the ring as I was spent in minutes.

I lost my flip flops, sun gl*** and my breath in the matter of a few minutes and finally let go of the chum bag.

My final tip of the day.

I spent 5 hours on the big boat. Removed every life vest from their stored areas, the life ring and so on. 3 of my 10 cl*** 1 pfd's had non working strobes for a variety of reasons. That will be addressed tomorrow. I checked the straps and put one on just for a check.

Well, the belly strap needed an adjustment for mine, the straps and clips were tangled a bit from storage and I just thought about the fact of how cumbersome the cl*** 1 is or any of them to put on for that matter. I did this in the cabin tied to the dock. :blush: " don't try it in the water"

Having the right gear and being able to use it will most likely make the the difference between a recovery and a rescue

Also, type IVs aren't just for you...I had a guy tell me once that he didn't need one because he was alone. I asked him what he was going to do when he watched an ejection and needed to throw something to a PIW... Also these things are required to be "immediately available" OR out and ready at a moments notice.

If you tie a line to it, tue polypropelyne. It's the kind that floats and easy to retrieve.

Definitely a good idea to don a PFD in the water. If you get strobe lights, put Velcro on your PFD or hat and the strobe. Keep it as high as possible.

I think Troy was getting at this but make sure that your life jacket straps are stowed neatly and all the way loose. You dont want to have to don one in an emergency that was used last by your 7 year old nephew with its straps tightened down. Every second counts when the brown stuff hits the fan. Lots of good info in this post, I think it will make a lot of people spot check their safety gear.

• 3 years later...

I know I’m just a newbie to this site but I came across this thread that is outstanding and should be looked at by everyone. We all read about tragic accidents happening every year on the water and to us, it will always be someone else. I also see there are some older folks like me on this site so in your first aid kit, insure a fresh bottle of BABY aspirin. There 81 mg apiece. If you or someone you come across is having a possible MI ( heart attack) and their conscious and able to swallow, give them 3-tablets and chew them up. This is a time saver and might save their life. While your on the water, know where your closest ramp or dock is located. This way, EMS can be dispatched to the closest location.Use your radio first to call for help! ( more people can hear a mayday) then use your cell phone! As a 30 year Firefighter/Paramedic, I cant count the amount of calls we’ve been dispatched to involving boaters! Great thread from the original poster!!

Just a short add to this, I have a close friend John P ( I won’t mention his last name out of privacy) most long time fishermen here in NE Fla know him, was asked to “skipper” a boat out of St Augustine. He was 60 miles out with 4 other people including the owner when the boat (50ft class) caught fire. John said there was not even enough time to grab a life jacket ,it went up that fast. 3 of the guest all floated away never to be seen again. John held on to the owner while treading water as the owner went into Cardiac arrest.John, who was somewhat athletic and in his young 40s treaded water for over 6 hours. Told me he finally had to just let him go due to the fatigue and was about to just give up and go as well. Thankfully a commercial fishing boat had seen the smoke and got there in time and found John. Out of 5 people, John was the only survivor. John is now preaching boat safety continuously as this event changed his life. Guys , We all think “ won’t happen to me” John was a long time boater and thought the same prior to this. We don’t blink to spend hundreds or even thousands on the latest gear. Take this winter to put a what if bag together. Sounds stupid but take a basic first aid course. The one thing I used to hear when we got to the victim/ patient was usually “ I didn’t know what to do “ Again, to the original poster, this is one of the best and important threads I’ve seen on this forum!......David

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread here.  I experienced my own close call when my wife was 6 months pregnant with our first child.  I live in Mobile AL and fish a lot in the MS Sound / Mobile Bay.  I was out by myself one day and managed to go over board while setting a small bait net (shrimp trawl) off the back of my 2000V.  I was in water well over my head and over 2 miles from anything I could stand up in.  LIke most "inshore" guys around here I had no life jacket on and to make it worse was not wearing the kill switch because it wasn't long enough to reach the back deck of my boat.  Boat was in gear at an idle and it was a sick feeling watching it leave me.  Conditions were choppy 1-2 ft seas and there was not way I was catching it.  ~4-5 hours later I made it to the nearest mud lump of an island and an hour after that thankfully the Sheriff's Flotilla picked me up.  Later I learned she received a call from the Marine Police from my phone that my boat had been found and I was not in it.  Not a phone call you ever want your wife to get.  The only reason I made it was the tide was going slack and the summer time wind direction helped go in the only direction of shallow water anywhere close to me.  Different conditions and I would have easily washed out of the MS Sound in to the gulf.

Just a couple of many Lessons I Learned that day

• LIfe Jackets only work if you are wearing them.  When an emergency strikes you might not be able to put it on.  I now wear a Mustang Elite Inflatable any time the motor is running and all the time if by myself.  I found that even with others on board I rarely take it off, and if I do its when we stop to fish and are usually in shallow water.   Winter time conditons, it just stays on regardless.  I also now own a PLB tied off to the D-Ring on my life jacket and it fits nicely inside so I always have it on me.  If you are on my boat and the outboard is running, you will wear a life jacket....other wise I won't let you on.  To me they are like seat belts and should always be worn.  I know I'm preaching to the choir with some of you but it still amazes me the lack of life jacket use I see on my local waters.  I get it that for most of us we think it won't happen to us....that was me for a long time.
  • Kill Switches have to be connected to you to work.  I was at an idle and would have thought I was low risk, but still wish I had been wearing it that day.  

Bottom line is if you spend enough time on a boat, one day something will happen that you didn't expect.....it's going to happen.  You want to have enough safeguards in place so that you keep the tragedy from happening....what can you do to stack the deck in your favor?  I'm in the minority when it comes to these types of stories.  Usually they end much differently.  Thankfully mine didn't and I try to share my experience any chance I get.

This thread is making me think about what I keep on my boat and I've gotten several ideas on things I can do to improve.  Just wanted to contribute from my own personal story.  Thank you to everyone that has chimed in on this one.

Greg

Archived