RIP CAPT. PAT KELLY

Capt. Troy

Just Passed away and was the King of the swamp out of Choko for many years.

The "DOUBLE PATS" as some may have known him was a great leader and president of the FGA for many years and a huge advocate to promoting the wise use of the resource as a guide and recreational angler.  He traveled the state bringing awareness to conservation for many years after following Capt. Scott Moore who wrote the book on Snook fishing on the west coast of Florida and was the founder of the Florida Guides Association.

The fella was True Grit and went to bat just like the owner of this forum to promote and protect the wise use of the resource.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Coto said:

I remember him. He fished out of a Back Country. Spoke with him for a good while once at a boat show in Dinner Key Miami. Very knowledgeable when it came to back water fishing. He was definitely an old salt.

Salt of the earth Irishman. Survived by his wife Patricia. "Double Pats" What a women to put up with his crap.

Him and Bouncer Smith were Buddies. A couple of legends in my book!

Pat, presenting the FWC officer of the year award below.

Officer Peter Gaudion

Me not being a face book guy I miss a lot.

Had the privilege to hunt and fish with the man over the last 25 years..

Very passionate to the wise use of our resources.. I served under him for 7 years as the senior vice president of the FGA.

His mission was always to treat the guide community as nothing more than us following recreational limits supported by sound science based on good research. Never did he ask for special privileges to us for hire guys that he represented.

I will say that I was nominated by many guides to take over the president position of the FGA when Pat retired.

I removed myself as I didn't feel I was worthy of the task. He will be missed!

Here are the details on services. There will be a celebration of life gathering after at a location to be determined. We will share via Facebook, email blast and the newsletter. Please share and encourage attendance to show support.

Visitation will be Sat. from 10-11 am at Highland Park Church, 4777 Lakeland Highlands Rd.Lakeland. Funeral services will follow at 11 am at the church. Interment will be at Oak Hill Burial Park. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

Just the way I remember the man and his wife!