Will wedges fix stern squat in Redfishers????

1gunner

So there were some earlier discussions regarding stern squat and porpoising in Redfishers that reminded me of a similar issue that I’ve had with two larger boats that I’ve previously owned. Both were Contenders , 27 & 31.   This issue was immediately corrected in both cases by installing transom wedges that gave the motors more “negative” trim and thus lifted the transom and lowed the bow at almost all speeds. As a new Redfisher owner I was curious if this could potentially solve the “squat”, bow-up attitude that currently requires so much tab to overcome in the 16 and 18 RF’s? Anyone ever tried this?????

https://bobsmachine.com/product/reversible-transom-wedges-5-degree/

I installed wedges on my Redfisher 16, but ended up taking them off.  IMHO, the only reason to use wedges is for a quicker hole-shot, and then you should immediately level the motor out, to minimize drag and boost efficiency.  If you want to control bow rise, I would start with a 4-blade stern-lifting prop.  If that isn't enough, I would install a Bob's Machine Shop TrueTracker stabilizer plate on the motor's AV plate.  Lastly, use your tabs to fine-tune the ride, if needed.

So I finally had my sled heavy , for the first time , since the SHO upgrade .

Three Brochacho’s n two coolers .

The stern finally had some squat and a little bit more time to get on plane .

So , back at the camp n a few cocktails , we decided to increase the airflow over the leading edge of the blades and opened up the vent caps from 1/4” to 3/8”.

The next day , it was noticeably better .

The stabalizer plate and the Spitfire prop have my sled on rails .

Night and day differance .

🇺🇸☠️

99059CF8-6BBC-4E4B-86A8-CB02105A6CAF.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, geeviam said:

IMHO, the only reason to use wedges is for a quicker hole-shot,

X2

They will help keep the bow down while getting on plane and also could help with holding the boat on plane as slower speeds.  You have to remember that when you add a wedge you are adding setback, a small amount of 1/2" i think.  The more setback the more squat at rest. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

I think the stabilizer plate might actually  lift the stern better than the wedges . 

I think so too.  The stabilizer plate will spoil you.  The stern lift is awesome!  My 16 foot boat behaves more like an 18 footer now, and allows for a wider range of prop choices.  It's also cool when you come off plane - the stern does not squat as much then either.  No loss of top end performance when I trim up the motor and air it out - the plate is above the water surface then anyway.  The question always gets asked:  If stabilizer plates are so great, why don't the manufacturers design them, built into the motor lower units?  I don't know the answer to that, but can only guess that there are quite a few patents out there, and the companies that make them would drag the outboard companies to court over it.

The wedge will help a boat the was built with too much positive trim angle at the transom , when you are running and your boat porpoises because there is to much positive train but you are trimmed down all the way a neg trim wedge will help control porpoise do to excessive positive trim ,  if. Foil/ cavitation plate stabilizer is not in the water at speed because your motor is trimmed out it will cause a lose of speed or create additional drag . If the plate is in the water at speed (should be on top of water ) because motor is low than it could cause drag and could cause a loss in speed . 

4 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

How does the fin cause drag , if it is completely out of the water ?

Pretty sure Joe meant to say "it will not cause loss of speed or create additional drag", when the fin is above the surface of the water.  He and I have discussed this in detail.  He sold me on the Bob's plate in the first place.  Dabear is "Da Man" on boat/hull performance!  🤓  Just a typo me thinks.