Opinions on switching from HPX to Redfisher.

Foulhook

So I bought this beautiful little 17' HPX earlier this year. I wanted a skiff for the garage that was ready to go at a moment's noticed. 90% of the time it is just my youngest son and I and the boat is amazing for our type of fishing. Problem is, my wife and other son want to come along sometimes and cruise to the island or go scalloping in the Summer. No go with the HPX and they 3 person limit. I'm thinking about moving to a 18 Redfisher if I can figure out how to squeeze it into a 20' garage. Question is, will I see much of an upgrade in terms of room for 4 on occasion as a family boat? I do have access to my old 2200V Pathfinder but I can't keep that in the garage so it requires a lot more preparation.  Looking at the pros and cons of selling the HPX and using the Redfisher as a compromise that can fit in the garage.

maverick.jpg.7185a9f6285cac534d8bd870df3c1aa0.jpg

I would not sell that HPX if you have a second family size boat. If it was your only one...absolutely. The 18 RF is really good with 3 adults 4 starts getting cramped. 2 adults and 2 children no problem but they will grow up and you will be cramped again.

I think you hit the number one consideration - keeping it at your house.   Remote boat storage, at least for me is the death knell for any boat ownershio in the long run.   

Assuming the 18 RF fits, the question then becomes whether it will suit what you do 80% of the time.   If you pole skinny a lot, it probablybisnt the right boat, but it can be poled short distances and in reasonable conditions. 

As for the family, no boat fishes 4 people great, but for sandbar cuises, the 18 "general flats boat" like the MA and the Redfisher are very adequate in my opinion (disclaimer, I am basing thus on the 18 MA which is reasonably similar)     

If fishing in 2' or more water is your 80% activity, and sandbarring with 4 people is the 20% thing, and it fits in the garage, I think you will find it a good choice.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

I think you hit the number one consideration - keeping it at your house.   Remote boat storage, at least for me is the death knell for any boat ownershio in the long run.   

Assuming the 18 RF fits, the question then becomes whether it will suit what you do 80% of the time.   If you pole skinny a lot, it probablybisnt the right boat, but it can be poled short distances and in reasonable conditions. 

As for the family, no boat fishes 4 people great, but for sandbar cuises, the 18 "general flats boat" like the MA and the Redfisher are very adequate in my opinion (disclaimer, I am basing thus on the 18 MA which is reasonably similar)     

If fishing in 2' or more water is your 80% activity, and sandbarring with 4 people is the 20% thing, and it fits in the garage, I think you will find it a good choice.   

Absolutely agree, I use it 50% more just because it is at the house and ready to go at a moment’s notice. Thanks for the input!

7 hours ago, Coto said:

If you do sell shoot me a PM that 115 on the back is perfect. Light and fast.

That TLRB 115 2 stroke weights 369 , the VF115 4 stroke Yamaha weights only 8 more pounds 377. Add 2 gallons of 2 stroke oil in the tank on the 2 stroke and I wouldn’t think you saved any weight that you could notice .  Joe R 

1 hour ago, Fsu11 said:

Just an FYI i have a 18 redfisher and it does indeed fit in the garage WITHOUT a swingaway tongue, but it is a tight *** fit and i have to manhandle it back and then start turning it to fit in sideways lol

My garage is actually 19.5’ deep, measured last night. It is a 3 car so I could always pull the nose over. How deep is your garage?

On 5/23/2019 at 3:03 PM, Foulhook said:

My garage is actually 19.5’ deep, measured last night. It is a 3 car so I could always pull the nose over. How deep is your garage?

i think 19.5-20.5 feet. My boat is backed in then turned sideways to make it fit in a two car garage, its getting easier the more i do it but it was tight at first lol. i think overall from tip of motor to tongue on trailer is 24.5 feet