Nose sits high while underway

Bought a 1997 Hewes Redfisher 18 and have been using it and getting used to it. One thing I’ve noticed is that when I am underway, the nose tends to sit pretty high unless I am running fast and doesn’t go down as fast as I thought it would off of plane. Still getting used to the trim tabs while running the boat. Can anyone give me any tips on running the boat and on having the boat sit flat while underway. 

55 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Tabs play a part but the prop plays a bigger part. What size prop you running, 3 or 4 blade. Could be a bow lifting prop and you could need a stern lifting prop, my Redfisher did.

Very interesting, I figured it wasn’t the trim tabs. I’d have to go and take a look at the prop today. I’m sure it has more to do with the prop. 

I think we need more info.  How much seat time do you have?  Are you slowly applying throttle and planing out slowly?  At what speed and RPM are you trying to run on plane when you think the bow is too high?  What trim setting are you running?(How much trim).  As stated above, What prop are you running?

17 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

I think we need more info.  How much seat time do you have?  Are you slowly applying throttle and planing out slowly?  At what speed and RPM are you trying to run on plane when you think the bow is too high?  What trim setting are you running?(How much trim).  As stated above, What prop are you running?

I would have to say that I do slowly apply the throttle to plane out until I reach speeds of about 20-25 mph where it starts to sit back down with the motor trimmed all the way down. I don’t gun it. If I’m going at really low speed the boat is sitting horizontally. I’ll get more info soon 

5 hours ago, Jorgerivadeneira said:

It does plane out and rides flat at higher speeds. If I’m going slow 10-15MPH the nose sits high. My trim tabs are always horizontal 

Until the hull comes on plane, any skiff is gona bog down and push with squat......it's not going to come onto plane at 10-15...you need to get it  up on plane, and maybe back down to 15-20 to keep it up on plane.....

I don't think it's your prop based upon what you are saying above....no boat willl come on plane at 10-15...it will just push.....

dc

7 hours ago, Jorgerivadeneira said:

It does plane out and rides flat at higher speeds. If I’m going slow 10-15MPH the nose sits high. My trim tabs are always horizontal 

You just described just about every boat on the water excluding pontoon boats. 

The little skiffs with big motors are going to do be bogging to try and get on plane. Honestly if you had a 90 or 115 on there you could putt along flatter. 

I had a buddy with a key west that was 39mph wot. We always had to wait on him. In a no wake zone I would run my 150 opti hot trying to keep up with him. He had big boat small motor it was happy just pushing the boat through the water .. your big motor and hull are trying to climb onto plane . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jorgerivadeneira said:

I would have to say that I do slowly apply the throttle to plane out until I reach speeds of about 20-25 mph where it starts to sit back down with the motor trimmed all the way down. I don’t gun it. If I’m going at really low speed the boat is sitting horizontally. I’ll get more info soon 

Running at such slow speeds will need bow down trim tabs to keep the bow down and stay on plane. 

Use more throttle to get on plane faster and then back down to desired speed while pushing bow down with some tabs.   

• Thanks 1

All of the above is true about flats boats, I have 2 and they act the same way,my HEWES LT 20ft with a 150 4 stroke Yama act the same as my Maverick HPX 15 fter with a 40HP power. Use the tabs to settle the boat down at a lower speed ,like 15mph when it gets snotty and rough and plow the waves at a level adjustment.  Works very well.  I use a small amount of tab when I'm running at 25-30.