Bilge pump ‘05 HPX-T

SthurmanFW

I have a ‘05 Hpx-t and the previous owner (for reasons unknown) moved the bulge pump from where it’s factory installed I assume (below bench seat hatch, assuming that’s the lowest point in boat and under drain) to the right rear hatch on an elevated sponson surface(not lowest point by far, also glued it down blocking the ability to turn off the livewell intake, so needless to say it ain’t glued down any more)

its also larger than the existing base still located where the original was, so I’m assuming (once again) it’s a larger pump too.

does anyone know what the factory pump size is and if there is any recommended location. The boat doesn’t get much water but after a full day on the water it does get some and after some wet runs even more. Not a safety issue (I think) but makes the boat heavier when poling and getting as skinny as possible is important.

appreciate guys

ST

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had two HPXTs and they’ve both had one bilge pump mounted essentially right under your seat, on top of the tunnel “hump”. It’s really not a great location because you need a lot of water in there to get above the tunnel hump and activate the pump. I think the ideal setup would be to have two pumps, with one on each side and back near the transom where the water first collects.  But that would be a lot of tricky rigging and cutting extra portals within the hatches to get access to them. 

• 2 weeks later...

DonH ran a HPXT an older model and it leaked like a sieve....it should have one bilge pump on each side of the tunnel.....in the event of an emergency, there is no where for the water to go....and if it does not have two, if feels like there is always water in the boat....which, there was for the most part...to be honest...

The design in the earlier years was not good and the pressure from the stern spray, hitting the rub rail, literally filled the skiff with water because you could not stop it by just a quick slog of silicone.

To do it right, you need to remove the entire rub rail....this is what I did on my Pathfinder 17T, same concept, different hull, but a tunnel all the same.

With the rub rail removed, i then filled the entire gap between the hull cap and hull...it was a 3 day project as it's slow, you need to take out all of the screws etc...but, when completed, no more water entering the skiff.....

I know this is more than you are asking, but, in short, place two in the bilge on each side for safety......it does, as mentioned above, require a few cut-outs, but, nothing structural.....it's a weekend DIY....long weekend :)

dc

• 5 months later...

Yes, mine has a livewell in front of the console, not sure where yours is on the 2004, I turn mine off at the valve in the back right hatch so no water comes in as I almost never fish live bait. It was impossible to keep water out of it with just the black plug when the valve was "open" so that became my solution, its a huge livewell and adds a lot of weight if full of water. But as I said, I'm not sure where the livewell is on the '04. Maybe one of the admin guys on this forum would know something or someone else with an '04.There is a "release well" (not plumbed) in the back left hatch of my '05 which also is difficult to keep water out of even with plugs, I may need tighter plugs, not sure. Is this the live well you are referring to? Any suggestions appreciated as well.

My 2004 has a livewell on the Port-Stern hatch. How do you turn off the valve in the back hatch? Do you have any pictures? I have a bilge pump in the hatch where the seat is. I always have that off, but for some reason immediately when my transom hits the water, the livewell starts filling up from the white nozzle in the upper part of said livewell. There is one drain hole that goes straight through the bottom of my hull. I leave it unplugged when polling, but on plane and water escapes it fills up again. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe next week I can upload photos. If I turn on the livewell from the console, another nozzle fills it with water. When poling, I don't need an extra 20 or so gallons on the boat, so you see my dilemma. Thanks. 

• 2 months later...