Which boat. 2000 or 2200

Tailchaser83

Wife forced sale of my 1900v to buy new house.  New house is purchased and she says I can get a new “to me” boat. 

If you had $25k to spend on a boat what would you go with ? 22 or 20   Anything to avoid?  

I want to keep boat in garage. I think I will have space for a 22.   

On 5/10/2019 at 1:42 PM, Tailchaser83 said:

Wife forced sale of my 1900v to buy new house.  New house is purchased and she says I can get a new “to me” boat. 

If you had $25k to spend on a boat what would you go with ? 22 or 20   Anything to avoid?  

I want to keep boat in garage. I think I will have space for a 22.   

what kind of fishing do you do?

Sound like you know the 1900V what didn't you like about it?  Why not go back with an 1806 or another 1900V?  They are going to be well below your range..

I have owned a 22 and spent a good bit of time on the 20 with my buddy Capt DonH....the ride of the 22V is different off shore and in a strong chop, the 2000V is a bit more nimble.....

depending on your storage and desire to keep in the garage....I think this will be the deciding factor.

If you are looking for just a good fishing platform and you don't spend a lot of time off shore, I'd look for even a 18 MA older in good shape....

The price of $25K will get you something in the 22's that, unless it's been well taken care of, will require an additional $3-5K to customize it for your self.

DC

I have had both and as stated above your fishing style should dictate what you buy. Example: if you fish narrow creaks like I do the 20 is a lot easier to turn around compared to the 22. The 22 will handle a chop much more comfortably than the 20. Remember the 20 is a 22 with 2 feet taken out of the middle so it is more weight sensitive than the 22. I wouldn’t put anything less than a 150 on it as well. It took us a long time to get the 20 dialed in with a jackplate but if you don’t need one avoid the hassle.

They are both nice boats and do different things well so make sure you have your needs well identified.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for the input.  

Most fishing is inshore for reds and trout.  I truly love catching fish in 12” of water,  but I need something for the family too. 

I think I’m leaning 20 as most of the fishing i do it fits the bill.  

1900 was a great boat but did not particularly love the front storage.  

14 hours ago, Tailchaser83 said:

Thanks for the input.  

Most fishing is inshore for reds and trout.  I truly love catching fish in 12” of water,  but I need something for the family too. 

I think I’m leaning 20 as most of the fishing i do it fits the bill.  

1900 was a great boat but did not particularly love the front storage.  

You mentioned family.....not sure the age or ages of children....but I would say that if you have the coins and space....go 22. 

Women and kids bring lots of stuff when they ride....as far as fishing....both platforms are excellent. JMHO, JJ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go 22' all day. I fish the same area as you (I think I gave you my old bimini off my 19, at V, right?) and can turn a 23 around all the creeks I fish with 12-13" water just fine. During the summer I pull sandbar duty with a wife and 3.5 year old boy, so all the toys, easy up canopy, grill, bags and bags, the additional room is nice! The only difference in inshore fish ability between my 19 and 23, is I need a little more water to get back into some of the cuts in Clapboard and Hannah Mills. I think you'll enjoy the additional room of the 22 versus the one or two creeks you find to be tight.

OK, I just have to get in on this discussion as I also have had both boats and based strictly upon the lines of the boats, the look of each one - I loved the 2010  20 footer.  It was lower, slimmer, sleeker whereas  the 22, in stead of looking like the 20 "on steroids" looks like the 20 having become "matronly".  

Here's the 20's rear...

RON_5025.thumb.JPG.7695637b75528431ba809b86ebd08062.JPG

Wide, low, sleek.

Here's the 22's rear...

938158364_LowResMissLaurieIV-4.thumb.jpg.cee248f5392ce17c79d192aeaba527e4.jpg

Kind of a chunky butt, you could even say fat.

From the side, the 20...

LAS_at_Flamingo-1_2.thumb.jpg.dd234eb6ae9dcc71aada2a8ce0c72aae.jpg

Miss_Laurie_at_Speed.thumb.jpg.295039e2ba0c9860a4c54926a4298a31.jpg

From the side, the 22...

1230759122_MissLaurieIV-1.thumb.jpg.57ddbdccb575b4762dce43c05d71dba4.jpg

OK, I get that the higher freeboard is marginally more seaworthy and she handles the chop slightly better, but if they had still made that model 20 (not the new design) I would have bought it.

Oh yeah, one more thing.  The 20 had a single axle Ameritrail - IT USED TO ACTUALLY FOLLOW MY TRUCK.  The 22 has the twin axle trailer which I need to drive like an 18 wheeler - it cuts way inside on the turns.

The 22 is still a great boat but there is nothing like your first Pathfinder love.

• Like 1

If you fish out front in the ocean ....for Tarpon or Tripletail and the wind changes quickly, the tides pushing out...the winds coming in, it’s 2’ to 4 ‘ and spray coming off the top....in the 22’ you will be wet......in the 20’ you will be soaked.  

Other than that...both boats can handle the weather.

3 hours ago, bernieNC said:

That "chunky butt" is rated to handle up to 250HP.

I hear you and agree it is simply a matter of personal preference - some folks simply prefer chunky butts.

It is clear, the 22 is somewhat more seaworthy but I've always gone with my heart, not so much with my brain and have ALWAYS loved slim and sleek transoms.  E.g., I found this old photo of one of a number of former girl friends as proof of that concept...

LC-7.thumb.jpg.57d4371e3f35a5a6ddbdd224deead012.jpg

• Like 2