1994 LT value question...please help

BigLou

Friends,

i am considering buying a ‘94 Hewes Light Tackle 20’ with a 2014 Suzuki 140.  It is structurally sounds but very used.  Anti foul paint underneath is in rough shape and needs to be replaced. Some gashes in the hull above the water line to be patched.  Trailer is like new.  Would you please share your opinion on what a reasonable market price would be?  Owner is asking $16.5k.

thank you very much!

16k sounds high.  Also a little underpowered in my opinion.  Check out the one posted in the classifieds.  He needs it sold in 9 days.  Sounds like he will make a good deal.  Definitely less than 16. 

: Correction: That add was pulled.  Guess he sold really quick. 

OP, browse around the classifieds here for previously listed boats.  There was a 94 LT20 that was listed for around $18k but was updated with an 03 225hp Optimax.  I think there was an LT18 or LT20 in Texas that recently sold too.

Nevertheless, yes, I agree with Lap it Up that $16.5k for the boat you describe is too high, but part of the reason for the higher price is because of the newer power.  As I understand, these hulls will do around or over 60 with a 200, so a 140 might not too bad, but I have no experience with the setup.

Also, the boat Lap it Up is talking about is gone.  Seller sold it for $10.5k either last night or this morning.  It had an ancient trolling motor, outdated electronics, wiring was a bit messy, and had some minor superficial gelcoat damage from sitting in the water for 4 months w/o bottom paint.  He had 60ish inquiries in the first 8 hours of listing it on Craigslist for $9800.

IMO its way underpowered.  I'm in a 96 LT20.  With the old 200 vmax I was getting 54.  With the new 200 4 cyl im getting about 50-52 but im still playing with props and setup.  Newer power and a new trailer do help the value.  I think he's high on the price.  How high is really gonna depend on how bad you want the boat

I also think the price is a little high considering the top sides seem a little rough.  I will say I have owned my 20 ft LT for almost 20yrs with a VMAX 150 2 stroke on it first and now a SHO 150 Yamaha and it has plenty of power and speed.  I can approach 50 WOT though I don't do it often and I would guess the 140 should get to over 40,maybe 45 so it isn't a disaster.  If you are going to have a few people it would slow down a good bit.  I'm out solo most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 1993 lt20 w a merc 150 4 stroke. Could it go faster, yes . But I get anywhere I want just fine and plenty fast enough. I have a jackplate which is awesome. Bigger motor = more weight, more fuel spending. It does not equal more fish in the boat :)

If the motor is solid and low hours, I think its a fair price.  At the age of that boat, 1994, look for condition and any upgrades done lately of wiring, fuel lines, drain from live well. I have replaced all of those items on my lt20 since buying it. If they are original wiring, fuel lines you should assume you are going to be spending some money or doing some upkeep on these and other items.