Re-power or fix?

92 Mirage

1992 Mirage. 1999 Yamaha 2 stroke.  The top two cylinders have been re-built but now a rod was thrown through the block.  It needs a new power head.  Should I find a new mechanic (this is the 3rd time ina very short period of time I've had issues with this, and I've followed the proper break in procedure).  I know it's a 20 year old motor. Should I keep dumping money into this motor or re-power? If I re-power what should I use? Yamaha f-70/75? Tohatsu?  Im worried about getting on plane with a full load with a 70 4 stroke.

I have a 98 Mirage 2 with a brand new 70 hp Yamaha. Still not propped right only getting 5800 of 6300 rpm and can get on plane with three very large men probably over max weight. It’s quicker than it was with the 90 hp 2stroke or at least feels that way from memory. It was not mine when it was re-powered but my uncles and it’s from memory almost as fast top end. 

• 4 months later...

I do understand not wanting to throw a lot of money into a new engine.  I made the repower decision because I don't want to be stranded somewhere that help isn't able to get to. Either deep in the 10k or up in NE offshore beyond radio range or cell coverage.  I'm getting old and paranoid. Sometimes things  just happen.  I try to keep them to a minimum LOL

1 hour ago, polliwog said:

I made the repower decision because I don't want to be stranded somewhere that help isn't able to get to.

That is not always a guarantee. I was running a 30 year old Johnson rude 110 H.P. crossflow on my old Redfisher and while she did not get very good gas mileage, that thing always started and ran like a scalded dog and always got me home. Can't tell you how many times I would head out while some newer engines were stuck at the dock.