Really wet bilge

I have a 1997 Hewes Redfisher. Took my boat out this weekend and noticed that I was constantly getting water in my bilge and was always having to turn it on to get rid of water. It was quite the amount. It wasn’t a normal wet bilge that has minimal amount of water. I don’t know if I have a cracked hose or pipe, id have to take a look at all the hoses and pipes and what not. The hull is good, that’s for sure. There are no cracks or leaks in the hull. Can someone give me pointers on where to start my search. What hoses to look at and what not. Would be appreciated!

if someone can also explain how my live well works on these boats. Water was coming into it while I was out. I guess I have a shut off valve for the water? 

Could the water in the bilge be coming from the live well? Water was coming into my live well I’m guessing because i didn’t shut off the valve, but then how would that water go from the live well to the bilge area. The live well should drain outside the boat. 

Dry the bilge out, put the boat in the water, stay looking in the bilge sometimes a good flashlight helps, and see if the is water coming forth from any of the connected hoses. Check the tru hulls where the shut off valves are for your live well pumps. Check the live well pumps, I had a leak one time and it was the male part of the pump where the hose connected that had a hairline crack and water was pouring out of that. I had to buy a new pump.

1 minute ago, Coto said:

Dry the bilge out, put the boat in the water, stay looking in the bilge sometimes a good flashlight helps, and see if the is water coming forth from any of the connected hoses. Check the tru hulls where the shut off valves are for your live well pumps. Check the live well pumps, I had a leak one time and it was the male part of the pump where the hose connected that had a hairline crack and water was pouring out of that. I had to buy a new pump.

So check everything basically 

Jorge, I have no idea on a Redfish but for basics look at all thru hull penetrations at or below the waterline, possible causes Bait Well Pumps, Wash Down Pumps, Hoses or Connections both ends of the connections, engine water pressure gauges.  I'll assume you know where the valves to shut off the bait wells or wash down are located but make sure you know where the isolation valves are located to shut off the source of the leak. Stability of a vessel is dependent on ballast integrity and most if not all recreational vessels that means a dry internal hull no leaks. now in my case if my hull has a leak that means do not pass go boat doesn't go in the water till the leak is identified and corrected sorry if I sound pointed in the second part of the reply but sinking a boat ***, Safety First than fun 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coto said:

What he said "X2"

and when you get back, fill the bilge up with water, disconnect your bilge pump wiring, put in the plug, and see if any water is leaking out of the thru hull fittings or intake on the livewell system.

dc

• Like 1

Do it systematically

1. Before you launch the boat, close all the shut-off valves and pull the livewell stack.

cruise around for a bit - checking for water in the bilge.

If no water, that's good, its just a plumbing leak.

2. Check each shut-off system one at a time. open one shut-off valve, cruise around check for water...

3. if still no leak after all are open, put the stack in the livewell to fill it up, and cruise around check for water.

Point is, don't start with everything open as its had to know what leaked.

By the time you fix it you will know how things work in your bilge :) and that a good thing.

• Like 1

Check the scuppers on both sides of the hull. There is a tube that runs from the outside of the hull to the inner hull. The sealant dries where it seals the scupper tube to the hull. I had a 98 model and it did this and was very difficult to find. If you do the water test and look through the pie hole in the rear look forward and on the outer edges. You will see a small trickle of water coming down from the front of the hull. Just my guess

• Like 2

This is where I found mine.....PITA

5 hours ago, lurem said:

Check the scuppers on both sides of the hull. There is a tube that runs from the outside of the hull to the inner hull. The sealant dries where it seals the scupper tube to the hull. I had a 98 model and it did this and was very difficult to find. If you do the water test and look through the pie hole in the rear look forward and on the outer edges. You will see a small trickle of water coming down from the front of the hull. Just my guess

• 1 month later...

If this is an obvious thought you’ve already had then I apologize, but I have a 97 19 RF and the stern is quite squatty when not on plane. The through hull for the bilge can take water in and mine didn’t have a check valve for the bilge pump. I also had an issue with the baitwell pumps flooding the bilge when their plastic housing cracked. 

Another thing I thought of is to check the tub that is the livewell. Look inside the livewell and add sealant to the top where the livewell bucket/tub meets the underside of the deck. Sometimes the livewell splashing will cause the water to go between the gaps and leak into the bilge.

I hope that makes sense.

• 3 months later...

Does the Redfisher have the same poling platform style as the LT?  If so check the lower attachment bracket on the transom.  My LT developed a leak do to the fact they are attached by lag bolts if you can believe it. over time they work lose and leak.  That lower bracket can be right at the water line or lower.  Just a thought if all else fails.  Open the port to the bilge pump after the bilge is dry and watch to see if you see water entering,  I did.

Lots of good advice.  Mine leaked at the plastic outflow hose connection from the live well.  Yes, there is a thru hull with value prior to pump for live well.  Close that.  Even when pump not running water can (will) come thru the cheese grater into hose/pump.    My bet you have a cracked hose.. look at the white plastic corrugated ones and triple check where they are connected.