What push pole to buy

I’m looking for a nice 18-24 foot push pole to pole around my 18 foot 1997 Hewes Redfisher. I will be poling around anywhere between 3-6 foot of water and usually staking in 10 -12 feet of water on the outside of channels and bridges down In the keys if that is possible.  I wanted something stiff and not too bendy I’m guessing. This is going to be my first pole and I need the advice. I will be fishing around the grass flats and mangroves. I don’t want to be tossing and picking up my anchor out every hour. 

I just purchased a 24' Carbon Marine GL3. Its a top $ expensive pole. However it you are going to be using it a lot! It is DEFINITELY worth the money! I had a 21' pole and sold it to go to the 24'. The extra length is awesome! Especially if you are going to be in 3-6' of water. What a difference at the end of the day it makes!

Carbon Marine also delivers to your house for free!

15 minutes ago, JnamJnam said:

I just purchased a 24' Carbon Marine GL3. Its a top $ expensive pole. However it you are going to be using it a lot! It is DEFINITELY worth the money! I had a 21' pole and sold it to go to the 24'. The extra length is awesome! Especially if you are going to be in 3-6' of water. What a difference at the end of the day it makes!

Carbon Marine also delivers to your house for free!

I’ve heard a lot of good things about CM but I do understand that staking out is a no go with carbon as it is somewhat fragile. I was looking at fiber glass because I am able to stake out without a worry, although it is heavier. 

39 minutes ago, Jorgerivadeneira said:

I was looking at fiber glass

I have not pushed a boat around in some time but if you do any amount of polling a fiberglass is not the answer.  They are heavy and have a ton of flex which you said you don't want.  The only advantages in a glass pole is $, can take a beating, and sinks fast.  My first pole was glass and within no time it was for sale!  My last one was a Stiffy hybrid and worked well for me.  I am sure the real pollers will chime in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mulligan said:

I have not pushed a boat around in some time but if you do any amount of polling a fiberglass is not the answer.  They are heavy and have a ton of flex which you said you don't want.  The only advantages in a glass pole is $, can take a beating, and sinks fast.  My first pole was glass and within no time it was for sale!  My last one was a Stiffy hybrid and worked well for me.  I am sure the real pollers will chime in.

Great insight 

I had a terrible experience with Carbon Marine, yeah he delivered it , actually I had to go to Tony Bozzella’s house in Jax to get it now that I think about it, but when it got water in it (they are multi-piece poles glued together) and eventually separated, it took 5 months to get a replacement. I bought a 24’ pole from Biscayne Custom Rods. Same weight, half the price and one piece pole (up to 22’) mine had a 2’ extension glued to to make it 24’. When the CM pole finally arrived, to Don’s Bait and Tackle, not my house as promised I immediately sold it. Biscayne Rods is in Hialeah so if you need it fixed they’ll do it on sight. Sandy Morrett in Islamorada carries them as well I believe. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jason p said:

Biscayne Rods is in Hialeah so if you need it fixed they’ll do it on sight. Sandy Morrett in Islamorada carries them as well I believe. 

X2...I owned one...good people and I snapped one years ago...dropped it at Biscayne and they fixed it on the spot and I drove home after a cuban sandwich down the street. :)

dc

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a carbon fiber for my 20ft LT that I use very infrequently in NE ,but it is fine at 20yrs old.  I also have a stiffy in fiberglass for my little 15 Mav HPX which is heavy,but very sturdy.  I use it to stake out in the 10k as well as doing short poling distances.I wouldn't want to pole with a fiberglass pole all day,especially a 24fter.  I am in very shallow water so a long pole isn't needed. TM is my main method of going longer distances,plus I'm now one of those old farts. LOL