WTB: Yamaha 90 Two Stroke

shasson

16 hours ago, conocean said:

But you can't buy a new 2-stroke 90 Yammi! Great motor. What else would you look at? 

Yes it is/was a great motor.  I had a Hoog 16 with a Yammi 90 2S around 1988-89.  It was an awesome combo - fast and light!

Yamaha 90 2-stroke, 1.1L, 262 LBS. (no longer in production)
Evinrude ETEC 90 2-stroke, 1.3L, 320 LBS.
Tohatsu 90 TLDI 2-stroke, 1.3L, 337 LBS.
Suzuki 90 4-stroke, 1.5L, 343 LBS.
Yamaha 90 4-stroke, 1.8L, 353 LBS.
Mercury 90 4-stroke, 2.1L, 359 LBS.

I've heard great things about the Suzuki 90.  The power to weight ratio is very good.

The two I had run gave great service 2006 175 Saltwater , 96 Johnson 150 Ocean Runner, the 175E-Tech had one repair while I owned it Injector failed I believe 2016. but did find this on Louisiana Sportsman may be worth calling to check out, looks like a 2001 90 Yamaha that's been rebuilt, I'm also hearing good things on the Mercury's. 

https://app.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=classifieds&event=view&action=single_ad&id=918688

15 minutes ago, George Seither said:

but did find this on Louisiana Sportsman may be worth calling to check out, looks like a 2001 90 Yamaha that's been rebuilt

Looks nice!  Definitely worth having a certified mechanic check it out.  If you're a fly fisherman and sight fishing in skinny water, I think motor weight and less draft are most important.  Go with the lightest motor that will also be reliable.  I have not owned an Etec, but Evinrude is including a 5 year warranty with an additional rebate until 6/30/2019.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, shasson said:

I have an Evinrude/mercury  dealer down the road from me i may check it out. The Etec is the closest in weight to the yami 90 tow stroke. any thought on the etecs?

2 years ago I replaced my 2000 Yamaha 90 with a ETEC 90 and it was the best thing I ever did. I haven't had any problems at all. The only thing I would do differently now, is go with an ETC 115 SHO but the dealer had the 90 in stock.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 6:31 AM, THE OUTLAW said:

As a welder , I will say the metal used on the Suzuki is garbage .

Those internal water jackets rot .

I have to reweld them every week .

Buyer beware .

🇺🇸☠️

First neg i have heard about the new ones. Very interesting and good to know. Know they have come a long way from years past. The wty they give is better than most and several tow boats are switching too them. Price very well imo. Is this on all zouks. Thanks, fin

On 5/24/2019 at 11:00 AM, StPeteBonefisher said:

Were you able to find one?

I'm in the market as well. Trying to replace my 98 yammy 90 two stroke with an early 2000's model. 

Just curious

I ended up replacing the lower unit and a new trim motor for now. It still runs good so I am still on the hunt for the right motor.