2011 18 HPX-V trim tab issue

Stx4wheeler

Hey all I have a 2010 HPX V 18, yesterday both my trim tabs stopped working while out on the water.  My skiff does not have the auto up tabs and from lookng around it doesnt seem to have the lenco control box.  I also do not have the lenco switches that are about a half inch wide.  Mine are the two toggle style switches that look similar to the switches on our boats electrical panel.  I looked at the wires below the toggle and do not see any red flags like a corroded connection or loose wire.  Wirining looks factory like it did from maverick.

Any thoughts, before I start trying to hunt wiring demons?

If both have stopped working I'd start with the circuit breaker, it's really the only single part that both tabs go through. If the breaker is set under the rubber boot check for power going to the breaker, then check for power coming out of the breaker. The way the breaker sits (basically flat) if the boot gets ripped water will sit in there, indefinitely if in SFL humidity, and corrode the breaker.

3If the breaker is tripped you will feel it sticking up under the boot. You’ll be able to tell the difference if it’s tripped and the rest of them. Yes it’s resettable, a circuit breaker, any circuit breaker, basically functions as  a resettable fuse. 

If the breaker is out, reset it and run the tabs through a couple times. If it pops again you have an issue, probably a short. These wires are usually zip tied together (usually very tightly) once they leave the actual tab motors and will sometimes chafe through the wire insulation on something causing a short of some sort. 

Cheap multi-meters usually come with instructions and will save you untold amounts of money in shop time and unnecessary component replacements in the future. I’ve never seen an electrical component for a boat that returnable. 

When you do it, just unscrew the black plate that the switches and breaker are mounted to and go after it from the top, no need to contort yourself trying to do it from under the console. Use a little marine silicone under the plate when you put it back together. DO NOT use 5200 or any other marine adhesive / sealant.