Yamaha Gauges

fin-addict

My Yamaha gauges are turning a brownish color and getting hard to read. Rather not send them out to be restored. Any suggestions how I can clean them up without removing them. No scratches or left in sun. Do not know if it is the outside glass or the inners. Have seen some resto where there still brownish but readout crystal clear and others almost white with a greenish tinge. Help would be appreciated. Fin

1 hour ago, fin-addict said:

My Yamaha gauges are turning a brownish color and getting hard to read. Rather not send them out to be restored. Any suggestions how I can clean them up without removing them. No scratches or left in sun. Do not know if it is the outside glass or the inners. Have seen some resto where there still brownish but readout crystal clear and others almost white with a greenish tinge. Help would be appreciated. Fin

Fin, I used a headlight lens repair kit I bought at Advance Auto , which was basically a two different grit polish kit and a couple of cloths, although I didn’t get crystal clear results, it did improve the looks and ability to read by over 50%....I could probably do it a few more time and really increase the clarity.  Hope this helps....JJ

From what I can tell, looked again. It’s not the glass that is crystal clear and no crazing at all. Feel it is the film that is aging on the digital readout itself. Read it is a polarizing film material the darkens with age. I’m screw unless I send them out to have refinished.

13 minutes ago, BradM said:

Eric Clayton at "The Gauge Saver" turns them around pretty quick. I know you're wanting to avoid that route, but if you look at the cost of news ones, you'll be happy to send them out for repair. Not a bad job at all, Fin!

Yes I have read about him. Quick turn and reasonable price. No, no new gauges these a very good except the viewing. Thanks guys. Fin 😀

1 hour ago, fin-addict said:

Is it easier to remove gauges from under console or remove entire inst panel to access back of gauges. Anything I need to know before starting this. 

If they are the older round ones it should be two long machine screws (maybe 3 inches or so) for each gauge that draws them tight under the bezel. If you can reach the back they will come out pretty easy as soon as you loosen them usually.  The newer command links use a little different install I think.

I had the same era 1900v, and it was far easier to remove them from under the console. I’m 6’3”, 275 and managed to get in there just fine. Comfortable? No! Manageable? Yes. Take a few pictures with your phone for future reference. It’s pretty straight forward; blue to blue, green to green, and I think the rest will only plug into their proper counterpart. It’s been a few years....Eric can put the original color film in there or the newer gray color/style. I was his guinea pig on the gray film and it looked GREAT! I preferred it over the original color.

Just happen to have a pic still on the ol iPad. These are my gauges....and a side by side of the two choices. 

C3FA0F5E-92E2-4BE4-BC17-4A3C6D7F6F28.jpeg

2738BD55-02BD-40EE-9AE7-37D1CA74FDE9.jpeg

Archived