Installing Minn Kota Trolling motor on RF18

knotthereelworld

Does anyone have any suggestions on installing a Terrova to the front of their Redfisher? This new Terrova needs to hang over the bow by approx 5 inches, which I don't like, but oh well. However, it makes reaching for the bolts through the anchor locker near impossible unless you've got a four foot long arm. 

Any tips / tricks for some of you that may have done this previously? The old Minn Kota Riptide that I took off didn't hang over the bow and the bolts were mounted further back a long the deck. Looks like I've got to fill those holes with fiberglass resin. 

Thanks!

45 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

I agree, do not like the long overhang either. There might be a glassed in plate to tap into as with the pathfinders. Would make it easier for you. Good luck. Fin

Thank you. It's an '03, I'm hoping there is a plate in it. The previous motor was mounted with stainless steel toggle bolts. I just ordered another six after realizing that's the best way to secure without being able to reach into there. 

22 hours ago, knotthereelworld said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on installing a Terrova to the front of their Redfisher? This new Terrova needs to hang over the bow by approx 5 inches, which I don't like, but oh well. However, it makes reaching for the bolts through the anchor locker near impossible unless you've got a four foot long arm. 

Any tips / tricks for some of you that may have done this previously? The old Minn Kota Riptide that I took off didn't hang over the bow and the bolts were mounted further back a long the deck. Looks like I've got to fill those holes with fiberglass resin. 

Thanks!

On most of the installs you need to drill on the outer part of the deck, on my MA, i had to drill two holes just in front of the rub rail...no big deal, I added some plastic washers and it is fine...if you have to drill in the plate, you can get tapping screws and then add 5200 for added support.

dc

OMG.....

Been there done that.... get ready for an all day project. Maybe 2. Its was the bigest PITA I've ever done. I have the XI5 and had to swap it out when the board fried and I got another one replced under warranty.  And now I have to dismount it again soon. But this time I'm going to install a bracket. I will post some pictures soon, but if you want specifics let me know.I'm more then happy to share... 

I had only hoped i had found out my 01 18 redfisher had a plate glassed in but i was too dumb to research it further and find out it does instead i drilled big *** holes to make the stainless toggles fit inside to bolt my trolling motor down. If i did it again I would 100% drill and tap into the stainless plate thats glassed in and bolt that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Test ran it for two days. It doesn't appear to be getting full power. Had a slight breeze and powered it all the way up and it could not fight through the breeze. My old Riptide had much more power. Also, when I power it up to 10, it automatically shuts off. Any ideas? 

My thought is one of the batteries is dead, which would be super disappointing considering they are a year old. 

• 9 months later...
On 5/9/2019 at 11:07 PM, kawakibi said:

I had to lay down inside the front hatch. Then I tie wrapped & taped the socket wrench to a stick.  Taped the washer to it and carefully met the bolt as it was being turned. All 4-caught and tightened ok. 

D964529B-EB3F-4285-8167-4BDEE0E2A0A8.jpeg

910FE63A-DA38-49B8-BAAF-A2CDA4EA69EC.jpeg

5376BE83-7C6A-4042-9202-8E5BAB67CF2B.jpeg

What power plug is that? It looks like the Minn Kota one but white and it only appears they have black...

They recalled that plug and sent me a black one. I called and they told me it only comes in black now.  I haven't changed it out, but I am thinking I might be able to change plug and keep the white plate and cap.  White looks much better. Maybe they will make one soon to replace this recalled plug. The salt water motors are all white, doesn't make sense they only come in black. Although, the cable is black - so connected it looks fine. Its when you are not with motor connected that a black plug looks bad.

49 minutes ago, kawakibi said:

They recalled that plug and sent me a black one. I called and they told me it only comes in black now.  I haven't changed it out, but I am thinking I might be able to change plug and keep the white plate and cap.  White looks much better. Maybe they will make one soon to replace this recalled plug. The salt water motors are all white, doesn't make sense they only come in black. Although, the cable is black - so connected it looks fine. Its when you are not with motor connected that a black plug looks bad.

Thanks for the reply. Well, that's a bummer. I'm using a Marinco one now (also black) but I like how much lower profile this is if you accidentally step on/near it.