What kind of affect do new major components do the value of a boat

smboudreaux

Currently in a 96 Hewes light tackle 20 with a 98 Yamaha vmax 200. Got the boat for a sweetheart deal I couldn't pass up and I wanted to test the water to see how the family liked boats and being on the water. I've had to sink some money into it to keep it on the water. New powerhead at 6k, new trailer at 3k, new trim seals and motor at 1k. Outside of the major mechanicals ive got through and fixed all the fiberglass, new topside paint and completely rewired the boat and completely redone the console. So my question is this. How much do things like the new trailer and a complete new motor effect the value of a boat? I understand worth is ultimately determined by demand. So looking at other similar rigs that have sold for, let's say 10k for easy math, completely original equipment. If I drop 20k for a new trailer, motor and rigging what can I realistically expect to get out of it?

Jmo, from what you spent so far and what your thinking to spend, 20k, you will be upside down in your investment. Remember it’s a 96 hull. If after spending what you have why spend more on another new trailer and motor unless I am reading this whole post wrong. Do not know what you have into it already.

agree with Wana on return on your $$$$$$$

I already have the new trailer and the motor has a new powerhead.  Had to do these things to keep the boat on the water.   Im fighting another gremlin of some sort in the charging/generation system on the motor that I can't figure out.   I just want to get the boat reliable. It's going to the shop tomorrow regardless.  

This by no means is an investment.  I don't intend to break even  or earn.  That point has long passed.  Basically im just trying to get an idea if I put the new motor on it and decide to upgrade in a couple years how bad of a hit I'll take.   My kids are at the age where they really enjoy being on the water and at the camp.   2 years of trouble free memories is worth alot to me

I think what you really need to do, is ask yourself how in-love with your LT 20 are you. If you can imagine yourself upgrading in two years I wouldn't spend $20K on it. Get it reliable and sell it when you can afford to upgrade, if that’s now then do it now, if it’s in two years tHen do it in two years. Either way it’s an old flats boat and with very few exceptions you’re gonna take a beating on upgrades you do to it. Unless it’s something your emotionally attached to (or a late 90s HB whipray) dumping $20K into it is going to be a brutal proposition financially. 

Kept a Stratos SP2100 from 1997 to 2018, 1 repower with E-Tech 175 in 2007, all total till I sold the boat I 2018 for 11,500 had over 43,000 invested to what I wanted and keeping up to date, I finally decided to update to a new boat, Old boat had many great memories with family, friends etc. especially my Dad which made the decision hard to move on to a new boat. A young guy purchased the boat and was very happy to get his hands on it. If the boat has good bones and it sounds like you have updated a number of items a repower may very well be the answer to greatly improve the reliability. Some classics are just meant to live on! 

Just for grins I added the spread sheet with updates and dates so my ROCE on this one wasn't good. LOL

Stratos SP 2100 Upgrades and dates performed.xlsx

• Thanks 1

It has been my experience that these boats have a pretty locked in price range, and it is a pretty tight range.  You can dump in a ton of money but you wont break out of the range.   Look at what these sell for, top and bottom range and it will give you an idea.   Sometimes components simply help sell the boat within that range, but dont really affect the price.   

At the end of the day, you have to factor in the cost of enjoying the boat while you have it.   Never a good investment strictly in financial terms, but we dont live for our bank accounts. . .

Aside from the brand new trailer all the money spent was maintaining the same year model boat and motor. I would think the fact there are not a lot of those boats on the market coupled with the new trailer and powerhead you could ask for the upper end of what they list for. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, jason p said:

I think what you really need to do, is ask yourself how in-love with your LT 20 are you. If you can imagine yourself upgrading in two years I wouldn't spend $20K on it.

If the deal I received never came my way I would have never considered the LT20.  Or really any flats boat.   They just weren't on my radar.   Turns out it's great for the age my family is now.   My daughter's are 6 and 9 so the cat walks give them plenty of space to run around.    As they grow I think inevitably I will need a bigger boat

I have to say this isn't a family boat for most people.  I have one and have had it for almost 20yrs, it's a fishing  machine and a good one.  I have mine in NE and you don't see many here,but I can play around rock structure that scare most other boaters. I can go where the stripers are which I wouldn't trade for, but that's me.  The basic boat will go on for a long time.  In FL my maverick HPX does a different kind of fishing which is also great.

Use it for a while and decide if its for you before spending that kind of money.  As has been said you win't get it back.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, polliwog said:

I have to say this isn't a family boat for most people.  I have one and have had it for almost 20yrs, it's a fishing  machine and a good one. 

It doesn't work out well for boat riding but for fishing with kids it's great.   And it's got enough power to pull a tube.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, smboudreaux said:

It's going in the shop Monday.  Ive gotta atleast get it running to sell the the motor separate or the whole rig.  Hopefully they can figure out what it is and il get a couple trouble free years out of it.  

my advice would be to hold onto it until it isnt working for you.  Polliwog is right, these boats are great fishing machines and I find them to be much better for kids than people give them credit for.   Tge walk around gunnels of a flats boat gives you a lot of freedom, and well trained kids only go into the drink on rare occassions and are generally retrievable, but always replaceable.  ;)

2 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Put it in the water and enjoy it! My daughters grew up on a 17 Redfisher with their friends and loved every minute of it, I did not upgrade until they were 12 & 17 and even then my 12 year old wanted me to give her the boat! Just go with it, worry about the $$$$ later.

Lol that might be the $17,000 comment

21 hours ago, smboudreaux said:

It doesn't work out well for boat riding but for fishing with kids it's great.   And it's got enough power to pull a tube.  

Big flats boats make great family cruisers.  I've been in all kinds of boats and a few different Pathfinders.  I prefer my family upfront, seated where I can see them.  Very safe platform when you add a couple E-sea rider bean bags. 

IMG_4405.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, smboudreaux said:

I went for the repower.  200 sho will be on later this week.  

Very nice.  If I ever went fourstroke that would be the motor I'd look for (With a full power Nizpro tune of course). 

Post some pics and performance numbers once you get her broken in and propped.